Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
The cover does look a little less rectangular in the "Look Inside," but it doesn't look distorted to me, just looks like a slightly wider version of the cover image.  Of course, I'm looking at it on my laptop, not sure how it looks on a Nook. 

Are you also published via Smashwords?  The SW version may be a bit different than the PubIt version, so it might depend on which version of your book you bring up.  (And I know how crazy that sounds, I swear I haven't been into the eggnog.)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
DDark said:
I recently put my books up on B&N. What I noticed was that the "Look inside" feature distorts my covers by stretching them. Does anyone know what causes this, and what the recommended size is to upload the cover with your book? I've converted the html file with the cover in mobi, then converted it in Calibre to epub. I don't own a Nook, so I have no idea if it's doing the same thing on it. My guess is that it must be if the sample looks that messed up.

Is this a simple fix?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/sample/read/2940015918939
Go to your Pubit page, and make sure you uploaded an image in the dimensions they require. If it's distorted, it sounds like they're stretching your off-sized image to fit their template.

Edited: I just looked at the cover art in your signature. Three out of four of your covers look wide, compared with everyone else's. I suspect that's the problem. Crop or resize the image in Photoshop (or whatever) and re-upload.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
The app they use has "known" issues (though not known by me).
It also doesn't render embedded fonts, though they are rendered correctly on the Nook, the Kobo, the Sony, etc.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
DDark said:
I recently put my books up on B&N. What I noticed was that the "Look inside" feature distorts my covers by stretching them. Does anyone know what causes this, and what the recommended size is to upload the cover with your book? I've converted the html file with the cover in mobi, then converted it in Calibre to epub. I don't own a Nook, so I have no idea if it's doing the same thing on it. My guess is that it must be if the sample looks that messed up.

Is this a simple fix?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/sample/read/2940015918939
I've noticed this if I don't check the "Preserve cover aspect ratio" button in the "ePub Output" menu when converting a mobi/prc file to ePub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts