Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey You Kindle-ers are great. The feedback to my initial post was enormous as were the sales. What was the biggest influence on making a purchase. 

The subject matter
The book cover
The reviews
The websites

Just a bit of writers curiousity here.  :)

Thanks,
Mike Monahan

·
Registered
321 Posts
If I am being totally honest, the title and cover have to catch my attention.  If I am intrigued by that, then I will read the synopsis.  If after looking at all of those things I am still interested, the thing that is often a deciding factor is price.  If it is something I REALLY want to read I will pay more for it than if I am just trying some new author/series.

HTH

Mala

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
You forgot the most influential one...being able to "talk" with the author! ;)

After that, all the above.

I look at the cover first, then the subject matter. If it does not have a cover I tend to think it is a short story or the author did not care enough to make the effort and I will not bother with it.

Then I look at the reviews, taking into consideration that you can not please everyone so I try to read all the reviews to get a balanced view.

Then price is a big factor. If the price is comparable to the interest it generates, then I will pay it.

Then if there is a website and I feel like more information is needed, I will go to the website.

Hope that helps,
Sheryl

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sherylb, Pomlover, and Reyn.

Thanks for your imput. This information is so important to a new author. I never thought many readers took the time to read reviews or check the websites. I now see that the entire package weighs heavy in determining if a reader will make a purchase. When I finish the sequel to Barracuda I will be armed with better marketing ammunition.  :)

Thanks all,
Mike Monahan

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Mike Monahan said:
Hi Sherylb, Pomlover, and Reyn.

Thanks for your imput. This information is so important to a new author. I never thought many readers took the time to read reviews or check the websites. I now see that the entire package weighs heavy in determining if a reader will make a purchase. When I finish the sequel to Barracuda I will be armed with better marketing ammunition. :)

Thanks all,
Mike Monahan
I do read the reviews but I take them all with a grain of salt. What bugs me besides the lack of a cover is the stacking of "positive" reviews from other authors or "friends" of the author. To me it seems to skew the reviews and who knows if these "people" actually read the book. I think it's asking for negative reviews from people who buy the book based on the positive reviews and end up not liking it.

All that said, it's nice to be able to get to know the person behind the book and not seem like we're being "pushed" to buy the book...which btw, I did :p I'm looking forward to reading it when I get around to it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I start with the subject. If it looks like a strict romance novel, I'll avoid it but it's hard to tell from the subject, I'll look at the cover. I also look at the reviews, particularly the negative ones to see if the reasons other people didn't like it would turn me off as well.

I enjoy books where the subject is something to which I can relate. I got yours because diving is part of the story.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Being retired, costs are very important.  I also check the cover, in a DTB, and scan the pages.  I also look at the synopsis, and take the reviews not seriously.

Also as was said, being able to talk to the author is important.

BTW I have started your book and unfortunately am totally hooked!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Chynared, Drew & Anju,
Thanks for your feedback and support. I'm dying to hear how much you liked/disliked Barracuda.  .99 cents won't make me rich, but I love interacting with my readers.  A bad review can be enlightening while a good review is author bliss.

Thanks Kindler-ers,
Mike Monahan

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Cover and then Title is what would grab my attention to be honest. Shouldn't judge a book by its cover but we all do it anyway.  :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Kind,
Thanks for your honesty with a touch of humor.  :) I thought I posed a simple question, but it appears that the simplicity is overshadowed by complexity.  I was looking for simple answers like yours, while others looked for the entire package.  This will help other authors attempting to attract readers.  There is no single option that attracts most readers.  Our fans are as complex as our plots.  :)

Read on,
Mike Monahan

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Mike Monahan said:
Hello Kind,
Thanks for your honesty with a touch of humor. :) I thought I posed a simple question, but it appears that the simplicity is overshadowed by complexity. I was looking for simple answers like yours, while others looked for the entire package. This will help other authors attempting to attract readers. There is no single option that attracts most readers. Our fans are as complex as our plots. :)

Read on,
Mike Monahan
Mike...CS wrote a brilliant post that I think, imo, a lot of us readers would agree with. If you haven't read it already, it's more complex than you could imagine but I think would be helpful. I don't know exactly where it is but it is in the Book Corner in a reply to another author who just joined wondering how she could get the word out about her books. I think it was posted yesterday or the day before so it should be that hard to find. I hope it helps :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Chynared and Kindle Convert,
Thanks for the info on Sunny's post.  It was real helpful.

Mike Monahan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts