Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you K1 owners have been left frustrated by Amazon having the K1 batteries on eternal "backorder," but I sure was, and have only been waiting 2-3 weeks (some posts on amazon.com discussions say they've been waiting since November!) Others recommended Radio Shack, but online and brick-and-mortar stores I've checked were also "backordered." There were several sellers on eBay, but many of them wanted $20 plus shipping - and THEY weren't going to have stock until April!

I don't have any relationship to the eBay seller that I finally bought from, but I just received 2 "spare" batteries, with exactly the same specs as OEM Kindle batteries (3.7v and 1530 mAh) - my wife and I swapped them into our K1s, and they charged fine, and seem to last as long as the OEMs.

If anyone's interested, the seller lists "more than 10 available," selling them for $10.49, plus $4.99 S/H (discounts $2 for additional batteries). Again, I have no vested interest here, but wanted to share an available source at a price cheaper than Amazon would sell them for IF they'd ever get them in stock. It's Item number: 380105820686, and the link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-battery-fit-PDA-Amazon-A00100-D00111-1530mAh_W0QQitemZ380105820686QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item380105820686&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1729|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thank you for posting this!  8) 8)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just curious:  Are you just ordering another battery so that you have a spare or is your battery actually dead ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
After reading on another board (or was it this one? lol  I read a number of Kindle boards), I ordered a backup battery for my 13-month old Kindle from Adorama Camera online.  According to some posters, they are a reputable firm.  It got here yesterday (in less than a week).

·
Registered
122 Posts
My spare K1 battery finally arrived from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I'm not planning on switching to K2, so I wanted to have a spare on hand.

Could anyone provide any advice about how to store the spare? Should I swap the batteries around every couple of months or so? I'm not much of a gadget person, so I'm just a little unsure how to keep the spare juiced. Thanks!

Nemo

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
patrickb said:
Just curious: Are you just ordering another battery so that you have a spare or is your battery actually dead ?
My K1 (and my wife's!) are each less than a month old, and their batteries are fine - I ordered spares for 2 reasons: (1) extra power to take when we're camping, etc., without electricity, and (2) "just in case." I'm a "be prepared" kind of guy with a lot of things in life, and with the reports of Amazon being backordered for months at a time, and then these came along at a little over 1/2 price .....

I'm also the kind of guy whose gadgets die the day after warranty expires. Having a spare battery on hand means my OEM battery will last a lifetime! ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
My K1 (and my wife's!) are each less than a month old, and their batteries are fine - I ordered spares for 2 reasons: (1) extra power to take when we're camping, etc., without electricity, and (2) "just in case." I'm a "be prepared" kind of guy with a lot of things in life, and with the reports of Amazon being backordered for months at a time, and then these came along at a little over 1/2 price .....

I'm also the kind of guy whose gadgets die the day after warranty expires. Having a spare battery on hand means my OEM battery will last a lifetime! ;D
How will you keep them "fresh"? Switch the batteries out every week or so? Or just store them in a drawer? I keep thinking I should order a spare as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
For me, the just-in-case situation with the Kindle was handled by me carrying an iGo powerXtender charger (the one that runs on [I think] 2 AA batteries]. I'd put it in my Waterfield travel case when I travelled with two tips, one for my iphone and one for my Kindle 1 (the a00) tip. That way I know I can always find AA batteries pretty much anywhere in the world.
Speaking of which, I need to see if iGo has a micro-usb tip I can use with the K2.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bingo - found it.  In case anyone is curious, its the iGo tip A97.  It's a Micro-USB tip and the Kindle 2 is already listed as a compatible device.

·
Registered
46 Posts
patrickb said:
For me, the just-in-case situation with the Kindle was handled by me carrying an iGo powerXtender charger (the one that runs on [I think] 2 AA batteries]. I'd put it in my Waterfield travel case when I travelled with two tips, one for my iphone and one for my Kindle 1 (the a00) tip. That way I know I can always find AA batteries pretty much anywhere in the world.
Speaking of which, I need to see if iGo has a micro-usb tip I can use with the K2.
That is a great idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
patrickb said:
Sounds like a good accessory - think I'll get one of these, too!

I'd still go with an extra battery, if you don't have one already - read about too many K1s with dead batteries, and no Amazon replacements. Don't want to rely on any plug-ins, if this happens to me! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts