Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t confirm it, but in the last month or two, I have experienced significant battery drain with my Oasis 1...on multiple occasions, I was shocked to see the battery case depleted much more rapidly than ever before as my reading habits (about 20-30 minutes before going to bed, with backlight 6-7) haven’t changed at all over the past few years.

I’ve started trying to troubleshoot it the last few days and I’ve noticed that after reboot, it seems to force the Bluetooth module on which I turn off. And then, I recognized that recently, it updated its software to 5.13.3.

Moreover, today, with the screen saver on, I see that the kindle oasis itself (taken out of its case to track drain), loses a few percent charge in an hour. At that rate, while idle, I am not surprised that my battery has depleted itself so rapidly. Previously, I think I could have any of my kindles sitting for weeks with minimal battery drain.

I don’t know if that is the cause, but it seems might suspicious given the release date of the firmware.

So I ask: has anyone else noticed any change in battery drain, while idle, with any of their kindles with the latest firmware update?

·
Registered
137 Posts
For me, not this update, but yes, during a previous update. It took a factory reset to stop it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Koi said:
For me, not this update, but yes, during a previous update. It took a factory reset to stop it.
thanks for sharing this experience. it's possible it was the previous update. i'm putting the kindle in airplane mode today and seeing how much it drops.

but i guess i may have the bit the bullet and do a factory reset since the full restart (holding power for 20-30 seconds) didn't resolve it. Airplane mode is only a kludgy solution to me if it works, but it would be somewhat comforting to see it not drain if it's not connected to the internet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Somewhere on this kindkeboards, the question of rapid battery drain was asked. Now I don’t remember if it was me, or someone else that started the thread, but I typed in it, the process I used for the reset, per the kindle customer help chat line instructions.

I’m not seeing ba-WOOSH draining on my kindles right now, but about two weeks ago it seemed like one needed charged a fair shade sooner than usual. I found a “boxed set” of books I’d gotten from amazon, cheap, that wouldn’t finish downloading. Nor would it let me click and delete, or anything. A reset of the gentle kind got rid of it, and my battery is back to snuff.  But that hasn’t been the only recent funny business. Maybe something in general is up, at Amazon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Koi said:
Somewhere on this kindkeboards, the question of rapid battery drain was asked. Now I don't remember if it was me, or someone else that started the thread, but I typed in it, the process I used for the reset, per the kindle customer help chat line instructions.

I'm not seeing ba-WOOSH draining on my kindles right now, but about two weeks ago it seemed like one needed charged a fair shade sooner than usual. I found a "boxed set" of books I'd gotten from amazon, cheap, that wouldn't finish downloading. Nor would it let me click and delete, or anything. A reset of the gentle kind got rid of it, and my battery is back to snuff. But that hasn't been the only recent funny business. Maybe something in general is up, at Amazon.
thanks again for sharing your experiences. i am still seeing battery, albeit much slower than before, in Airplane mode, so i think i am going to have pursue the Factory reset. i'd be sad if i can't fix this issue. what i've experienced isn't a modest change in battery longevity...its a significant change. my Oasis 1 has performed well for me up until this point and it was an abrupt change in behavior in recent weeks which makes me strongly suspicious that an auto-update from Amazon caused the problem. (i had it blocked previously but this summer for some reason, Amazon was able to push and update to my device)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Because we ask so much of modern gadgets; e.g., instant on, no booting, memory of all settings, continuous monitoring for WiFi/Bluetooth, instant response to commands, etc.  There is also tension between long battery life and short charging cycles, both demanded by consumers.  We also demand lightweight devices, so manufacturers make the battery as small as the consumer will accept.

The list is near endless.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elk said:
Because we ask so much of modern gadgets; e.g., instant on, no booting, memory of all settings, continuous monitoring for WiFi/Bluetooth, instant response to commands, etc. There is also tension between long battery life and short charging cycles, both demanded by consumers. We also demand lightweight devices, so manufacturers make the battery as small as the consumer will accept.

The list is near endless.
agreed, but that wasn't the point of my post to start this thread. the latest firmware(s) changed things independent of the size of the battery in my Oasis 1 which hasn't changed since i bought it ;)

i've taken the path of resetting it to factory clean and am now re-installing my library and downloading about 200 books and letting it index while on the charger. i'm hoping things will be closer to normal after this operation completes itself.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
derek87 said:
agreed, but that wasn't the point of my post to start this thread.
I am sorry, I was responding to a post inquiring why batteries seem to drain fast in modern tech devices when older devices did not have this issue.

I should have quoted it in my reply when I had the chance but dislike unnecessary quoting.

Good luck with your issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Koi said:
I'll be interested to hear if the reset does the trick.
i think the full reset has helped but it seems that it is still draining faster than before. it seems almost reasonable if i leave it in airplane mode. last night, i turned wifi back on to see what kind of drain happens in 24 hours. stay tuned...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wanted to follow-up that several weeks later, the full reset has made my Oasis 1 more usable. it seems to be draining at a more reasonable rate and i suspect i will get about 20 hours of usage per charge (with backlight 6-8)...not too bad and functional, even if a little less than it was before. the "idle drain" seems to have diminished, so i'm glad for the suggestion to do a factory reset to get rid of some of the gremlins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts