Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure this is normal or if my battery has an issue. Even with wispernet off - I seem to drain my battery quickly. After a full charge after night, I lose a bar from my battery by the next afternoon/evening. My next bar seems to disappear even quicker (I have never let the battery get past half charged before recharging so not sure how quick the other bars go).

Is that about standard (I do a lot of reading/page turning a day)....

·
Registered
788 Posts
That sounds like a little too much drainage to me. Do you use Whispernet at ALL during this time? I've noticed that you can have WN on for a few minutes and it seems to make a difference in battery drainage.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - and that is without wispernet - I drain a lot quicker if I have the whispernet on (especially since i have poor signal).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you do a lot of reading a day, it might not be an excessive drain. Time is not really a good indicator - how many pages do you turn, how much time do you spend connected, etc would be a better indicator.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That does seem fast, unless you're doing nothing else but reading? LOL... I kid. I got my Kindle a week ago today, and it just dropped to half battery Wednesday. I get to read more on the weekends, maybe I read for 4 hours, and its an hour or 2 on weekdays, so unless you're reading 15+ hours a day, I'd be worried.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I would immediately contact Kindle Customer Service to see what they have to say.  If you have a bad battery they might replace it (if not the entire device).  With the holidays upon us, I am sure shipping is a mess.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure how many pages I turn... a lot though. I do not however, usually read a book a day and I usually have it set at the font level 3.  I would say it is the equivelent or around 250-300 DTB pages (whatever that would translate into Kindle page turns.

I was just wondering if I have a bad battery and should call them. I think I will.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
TM said:
I am not sure this is normal or if my battery has an issue. Even with wispernet off - I seem to drain my battery quickly. After a full charge after night, I lose a bar from my battery by the next afternoon/evening. My next bar seems to disappear even quicker (I have never let the battery get past half charged before recharging so not sure how quick the other bars go).

FYI - on the ebook comparison chart http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix, the Kindle battery life should be about a week or so with the wireless off. I never turn Isabella off and have found that for me it averages about 5 to 6 days.

·
Registered
364 Posts
TM said:

Have you download or transfer book from your computer to you kindle.
A couple of times when I have add a lot of book/samplers/personal doc. at once the kindle index them causes a big power drain.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went ahead and called CS. They want me to test it by having the wirelessn and seeing how long the battery stays up. he thought i may have a bad battery but couldn;t be sure. The wireless test would give him a better idea.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
TM said:
I went ahead and called CS. They want me to test it by having the wirelessn and seeing how long the battery stays up. he thought i may have a bad battery but couldn;t be sure. The wireless test would give him a better idea.
I think that was a wise decision on your part. Let the professionals figure it out for you. ;)

Linda

I

·
0 Posts
yep you know they are just sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone to call.  You just saved someone's job!  :)

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
You know I have about the same situation.  I wasn't sure if it was just me. I charge full and I have read a lot and I read on size 4. I charged over night, read about 4 hours in the morning then a bit more in the afternoon and dropped one of the bars. And I also drop the second one quicker than the first. I only turn on whispernet as long as it takes to download a book or samples which is only seconds really in my case.

I charged last time Wednesday night and I only read for maybe 3 hours total yesterday so I still have full bar right now.

But I know there would be now way I could go for 4 or 5 days like some do without charging. I think 2 days might be most for me.

Let us know what you find out TM. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not and feel funny calling if the Kindle works otherwise.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Atunah - that is why I asked here first. it seemed like it was draining to fast, but didn;t want to call and bug them in case that was normal. But the guy was really nice about it... He did seem to think it may be a battery issue.

He told me to fully charge it, turn and leave wispernet on and see how long it took me to get to one bar on the battery. If the battery is fine - I should be able to go 7 hours. You might want to try that also.

I will also let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I charge every 3 days.  I normally don't let my battery indicator get below the half way mark.  It's hard to estimate how much I read, I might pick the K up and read for 10 minutes at a time or for several hours.  At the rate I've been going through books, I'm probably reading  3-4 hours a day.  My Kindle is approx 3 1/2 months old.

I think it's just the battery.  If you can get a new one free from CS, all the better. :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
TM said:
I am charging it now so I can do the wireless test.
:D Guess I was typing while you posted. I deleted my question. It looked really stupid after your post. ;D

Thanks. I'm interested in your results.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I keep my WN off except to download books. I only have to charge once a week and I read it daily on different occasions. When I charge the battery icon shows a half charge. I always keep it in sleep mode when not reading.

Let us know what you find out.

Linda

·
Registered
326 Posts
TM said:

I read about 7 or 8 hours a day since i'm not working right now and i only turn whispernet on when i get books from Amazon which isnt that often and i have to charge mine almost every day. I always charge it when it gets halfway down. I think they figure a week because most people probly dont read more than a couple hours or so a day. Could be wrong there.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
One person on here said to let it run all the way down every 2 or 3 months to "reset the charger indicator".  Try that, maybe your indicator is just off.
See how long you can read even it looks run down.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts