Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
74,518 Posts
Short answer: yes.

It's also possible that one of the many things you loaded is hung up -- a corrupted file or something.

Do a search on some nonsense string and note the results.  It won't find anything, but will tell you how many items still need to index.  Note the number, leave it for a half hour or so, and repeat.  If it's not changed, something's stuck. Tap the number of items and you should get a list. . . . .page through and if you see one that's gray, it's likely the problem child.  Note the title, go back to the home page, and delete it. 

Then leave it again and repeat until it shows all are indexed.  Then you can reload the books that were hanging up one at a time to be sure it doesn't happen again.

· Super Moderator
74,518 Posts
It's my belief that the kindle has a harder time with stuff loaded onto the device over USB, than that downloaded wirelessly via Amazon -- even when it's personal stuff sent through Amazon for archiving.

Now, I don't really have any hard evidence about that, but it seems to me that the people who usually come on here relating memory issues have often been loading the thing up via USB. Whether that's a real correlation or nothing more than a coincidence I don't know. BUT. . . . I've never had any memory issues and I've pretty much never loaded anything via USB except once or twice on my old K1 just to test the procedure. But even then, having to use email I found it much easier to just send stuff through Amazon to get it onto the device.

And, thinking back, the only 'corrupt book' I've ever had was one I'd gotten elsewhere and loaded via USB. I don't remember if it made any problems other than that it just wouldn't open and was a pain to remove -- I couldn't use the usual 'delete' or 'remove' process via the kindle -- had to hook it BACK up via USB and remove it.

It is true that when I reloaded a bunch of stuff at one time -- when I first got my K3 -- I had some indexing get stuck, but it was easily fixed. I still hadn't really noticed memory issues; I'd just been paying attention to it. :-\

So I would always recommend sending things via Amazon. The Send to Kindle applets work great. :D Send to Kindle for PC is available to download at www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/pc and Send to Kindle for Mac is available for download at www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/mac.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.