Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first Kindle today. I read that the charge with last for two weeks with the whispernet turned off. I'm curious if most people leave the whispernet on all the time, and if people turn the device off at night or when not in use, or just put to sleep. 

·
Registered
335 Posts
My Whispernet stays on, I have blog subscriptions that update throughout the day

·
Registered
615 Posts
With the K1 I just plug it in every night.  And I sometimes web-browse before I nod off.

Today, I read the K1 with wireless on, on battery power only, and spent forty minutes going from my feeds (blogs) to links from the blogs and since the results were mainly text with only a few small images, the battery didn't go down at all, though in the past it sometimes goes to 3/4ths left after that amount of constant wireless reading. 

I have tvsquad.com from kindlefeeder.com's free feeds pushed to our Kindles (Amazon knows about it) because I like that it tells me what programs are 'new' that night, even on channels like the History Channel.   But it has articles about various tv shows and I followed lots of links today.  Since it was a website that didn't demand so much movement of images, maybe, it didn't drain as much battery for some reason.  9 hours later, and it still reads full, after I turned off the battery and have just used it on and off through the day to read blogs ON the Kindle...

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
If you're going to be someplace where there is no service, it probably makes sense to turn WN off. . .I work inside the Pentagon and if I leave WN on the Kindle is down at least a quarter charge by the end of the day even if it's been sleeping the whole time.  If I'm out and about, it tries to connect, does, and goes on. . .but if there's no signal it sort of keeps trying, I think, and the charge drains really fast.  I notice the same thing with my phone.  Oh, it's a K1. . .

Ann

·
Registered
685 Posts
I certainly left my K1 on all the time and plan to do the same with my K2.

I usually have Whispernet off, unless I want to shop on amazon or use the web browser. With it off, I usually only needed to charge the K1 about every fifth day and I usually read 3 to 4 hours a day.

I haven't had the K2 long enough yet to see how many days it can go without a charge.

About the only time I actually turn the power off is if I am going somewhere on a plane and I suspect even that is not necessary as long as you have Whispernet off during takeoff and landing.

The only other time I turned of power on my K1 was when I needed to remove the battery to install a SD card.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got my K2 yesterday and did not own a K1 so I have almost no first hand knowledge yet. Since I am always close to an outlet or computer I have no problem leaving WN on. I am traveling to Israel next month though and when there I plan on turning it off as I will have no need for it there anyway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Question for any of you more technical folks:

Is it better for the long term life of the battery (now that we can't change it ourselves) to 1) only use the whispernet when needed 2) Only charge it when its getting close to losing its charge vs. plugging it in every night to charge.

I'm just curious since I don't think I need to keep the whispernet on all the time, but if it doesn't hurt the long term life of the battery, why not just leave it on?  Also, Amazon (or someone) said the battery is good for 500 charges .... well, if I charge it every night (lets say), will those charges affect the battery and it will need to  be replaced in 500 days... vs if I only charge it once per week (because whispernet is mostly off) it will last way longer.  Not sure if this makes sense.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The only batteries that I am aware of where you need to let them almost fully discharge before you re-charge them are Ni-Cad (Nickel Cadmium) ones.

I doubt seriously that amazon is using a Ni-Cad battery in the K2, but I don't really know for sure.

·
Registered
615 Posts
BruceS said:
The only batteries that I am aware of where you need to let them almost fully discharge before you re-charge them are Ni-Cad (Nickel Cadmium) ones.

I doubt seriously that amazon is using a Ni-Cad battery in the K2, but I don't really know for sure.
No, that battery wants to be to 0 before one recharges it. Horrible technology.

The Kindle 2 uses a rechargeable lithium polymer battery.

This is best kept well-charged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
andrys, so are you saying K1 needs to be at 0 before recharging? I've gotten in the habit of always having mine plugged in while using at home so I end up just w/ short segments of time running off the battery. Bad?

·
Registered
4 Posts
With a lithium polymer battery - if the K2's is like most of them out there these days - keeping it plugged in or plugging it in every night does not degrade the battery nor will it likely "use up" on of the 500 battery charges.  Typically, a charge cycle occurs only when the battery is drained significantly.  So that topping it off nightly should not appreciably shorten the life of the battery.  It is probably a good idea to let the battery drain almost completely or completely about once a month to help maintain the battery calibration.  Also, after 500 charge cycles, the battery is likely not just going to stop working - rather it will start not to last as long.  When the battery no longer lasts sufficiently for your needs, then you send your Kindle to Amazon to replace the battery - a very Apple-esque thing to have to do!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts