Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been telling some friends about the Kindle I'm purchasing for my son in Iraq. One of them has a son deploying in a few months and asked how long the battery lasts between charges. Does anyone have data on hours many hours of use is estimated per charge? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I am not using whispernet, which I turn off except when downloading a book, I normally get around a week between charges.

Of course, he will not be able to use whispernet in Iraq anyway. He will need to either plug it into an outlet or connect it via USB to a computer to charge the battery.

I usually charge it when the battery indicator gets down to about half charge. So it probably will last around 2 weeks, which is about what amazon suggests on their web site.

The amount it is used is supposed to have an effect on the length it will hold a charge, but only seems to use a small amount when displaying a new page.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Amazon said:
Battery Life: Read on a single charge for up to 4 days with wireless on. Turn wireless off and read for up to two weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store and downloading content. In low coverage areas or in 1xRTT only coverage, wireless usage will consume battery power more quickly.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If he is staying in  Iraq for a year, it is best to get him the Kindle 1... As the user can replace the battery... With the Kindle 2 you have to send it back to Amazon for battery replacement... Just a suggestion :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I usually get just over a week with Whispernet off, which is perfectly fine with me. Much better than my cell phone, anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and helpful info! This info may help sell a Kindle or two to other military moms I've been talking to. And perhaps future KB members! I love all the education I've received at this site.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Battery life is also heavily dependent on how much & how fast you read.  Faster readers = more frequent page turns = lower battery life.  I'm a heavy & quick reader, 400-800 real life pages a day most days, and I've never gotten more than four days from my K2 battery.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with Victoria, Also length of time.  I read for about 5-6 hrs. a night.  I usually get 3-4 days.  Also I keep the whispernet off when not downloading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
VictoriaP said:
Battery life is also heavily dependent on how much & how fast you read. Faster readers = more frequent page turns = lower battery life. I'm a heavy & quick reader, 400-800 real life pages a day most days, and I've never gotten more than four days from my K2 battery.
I'm so glad you said this! I keep reading about people getting a week or more and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I usually only get about two days to a charge - but I read a lot and rather quickly.

Also, I do have to power mine off to keep a charge. If I just leave it in sleep mode overnight, it has barely 1/4 charge in the morning.

·
Registered
530 Posts
alexmarie said:
I'm so glad you said this! I keep reading about people getting a week or more and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I usually only get about two days to a charge - but I read a lot and rather quickly.
Same here, on the weekends when I am reading most of the time, I typically charge it up Friday night and need to charge again Sunday night just to be sure that I won't run out of juice while I am running around during the week. However, during the week I can usually get along without charging it (unless I stay up WAAAY past by bedtime) :p

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I had my kindle replaced due to battery only lasting 3-4 days. I don't have option of WN as its not available here. my new kindle gets charged every 10 - 14 days. I am a slow reader but I read every PM and AM.
sylvia

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
alexmarie said:
Also, I do have to power mine off to keep a charge. If I just leave it in sleep mode overnight, it has barely 1/4 charge in the morning.
This sounds like you have a defective battery... Send it back for a replacement! That's ridiculous!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi, just got my Kindle yesterday, I was wondering if I should let the kindle battery go totally dead, then fully charge it? I know with cell phones and such, you're told to let the thing totally discharge and then totally charge it, to do this a few times for longer battery life.

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
The battery in a Kindle is a Lithium Ion type battery. They have protection circuits that will not allow the discharge cycle to completely discharge the battery. Also the battery chemistry does not have a memory like the Ni Cd batteries had so charging can be done at anytime with no bad effects. I usually recharge at 50%.

That being said it is best to allow the device (Kindle, cell phone etc) to discharge the battery to allow the detection circuits to reset giving a better indication of total charge in the battery. I allow the Kindle to discharge all the way once a month or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts