Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a couple of weeks of ownership, I have found my Paperwhite's battery life woefully disappointing. Granted, I read several hours a day, but I usually keep 3G off. It only lasts 2-3 days before it needs a recharge. Is this normal? I know it is measured in hours, but overall, 2 days does not seem very good. Could it be defective?

·
Super Moderator
67,449 Posts
On what basis are you concluding that it needs to recharge?  I ask, because it's possible the indicator is just badly calibrated.  So if you're recharging because it looks low based on that, you may not really be as low as you think.

Try this: use it until it goes off for itself.  Literally, until you're reading along and it pops up and says 'shutting down' or something like that.  Read right past the warning that the battery is low. Use It Up.

THEN. . . plug it in -- to a mains outlet, preferably, and let it charge up FULLY.  Until the green light goes on.

Now, monitor usage and see if the indicator hasn't re-calibrated itself and now has a better idea of what 'full' vs 'empty' are.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ann, thank you. I will do this tonight.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I read 6 or 7 hours a day and find that every other day it is down about 50% (wifi is off except when I need to download, or synch, which I do for several times a day).

·
Super Moderator
67,449 Posts
stevene9 said:
I read 6 or 7 hours a day and find that every other day it is down about 50% (wifi is off except when I need to download, or synch, which I do for several times a day).
Well, but, again, I wouldn't count on the indicator being terribly accurate. Mine'll drop like that too. . .and then I can still use it for another week. :eek: So, every now and then I don't charge it when it's looking low. I just keep using it until it gives up. THEN I charge it and, after that, the indicator usually doesn't drop as fast.

Note: it's not that the battery is getting a 'memory' or anything like that. My understanding is this type of battery doesn't have that problem -- which was prevalent with early 'rechargeables'. BUT, the indicator can get a memory. So the periodic 'drain it dead and recharge it to full' will fix that. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Current batteries are much better then they used to be when it comes to recharging and holding said charge.  Do a complete drain and recharge, see if it helps.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
stevene9 said:
I have to charge mine almost every other day when I'm reading heavily like that. And mine has been drained to where it threatens to shut off several times. Makes no difference. I think based on the half hour per day calculation they use in their rosy charge-once-a-month or whatever scenarios, it's not that out of line, but I've been thinking of calling Amazon. I sometimes have to hit the screen several times to get it to turn a page, and it sometimes jumps from where I am in the book to the T/C for no reason I can discern. Of course as I've mentioned in other threads, I don't like the touch screen and want buttons, which makes me wonder if I'm being too critical. I keep using it because I do like the smaller form than the K3 and the light.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Let me ask you this, are you using a cover?  The reason I ask is because I have had an occasional issue with my Paperwhite where the light stays on when I shut it off.  If you have a cover, you won't notice it.  The reason I first noticed it was because, one night after I finished reading and but the book down on my end table, as I lay in bed I noticed a sliver of light peaking out of the cover.  The only way to get the light to behave normally was to reboot it.  If your light is staying on, it could be destroying your battery life.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a PW and an Amazon cover for it. Maybe once a week I will read for two hours straight. The other days will be up to one hour straight.
I charge it every two weeks, no matter what.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
ellenoc said:
I have to charge mine almost every other day when I'm reading heavily like that. And mine has been drained to where it threatens to shut off several times. Makes no difference. I think based on the half hour per day calculation they use in their rosy charge-once-a-month or whatever scenarios, it's not that out of line, but I've been thinking of calling Amazon. I sometimes have to hit the screen several times to get it to turn a page, and it sometimes jumps from where I am in the book to the T/C for no reason I can discern. Of course as I've mentioned in other threads, I don't like the touch screen and want buttons, which makes me wonder if I'm being too critical. I keep using it because I do like the smaller form than the K3 and the light.
Probably once every other day when I hit the page forwad, it will jump several pages. Not a big deal, and as I said it happens maybe once every 12 or 14 hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts