Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my K2 for about 3 years now and noticed lately that anytime I turn my whispernet on even if its just for a little bit it really sucks the battery down.  Is this normal?  Wasn't sure how long the life is for the battery maybe mine has decided its time to go. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, unless you mean that you're losing half your battery charge with only a few seconds of whispernet, then yeah, it's normal.
An aging battery can hold up pretty well to the low-power drain of page turns, but reaching out to cell towers is a higher degree of drain and that can really suck charge out of an old battery fast. If you're only getting a low signal from the towers, then your kindle might have to send out a stronger signal to reach them, and that'll suck the battery dry, too.
If a minute of whispernet eats your battery, then that sounds like a cell might have flipped in your battery.
(I heard they take a standard 3.7v cell battery, but I'm not cracking the case to try and replace it until there's no other option.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My kindle 2 is over two years old and just recently I noticed the battery life has decreased. Yesterday, I turned the wireless on to update and forgot to turn it off while it was in sleep mode. About 2 hours later I started reading again and noticed the full charge had dropped to less than a one third charge. Recently, I purchased a Sony 350 for library books and hadn't been using the kindle as much. I thought maybe being idle so much that it may have shortened the battery life. It could just be old age. My 4 year old GPS can show fully charged and only last about 5 minutes when not plugged in. I am thinking about changing the battery in both. The Kindle 2 looks much easier than the GPS to replace.

See this you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqUvf6_qYQ

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have had my K2 since March 2009.  I have always left whispernet on essentially all the time, and I still do.  I have noticed a significant decrease in battery life in the last few months.

Elaine
Norman, OK

·
Registered
699 Posts
Another K2 with shorter batter life here.  With whispernet off it isn't as bad, but it is still noticeable.  I try to charge it more often, and if it gets too bad I have a square trade warranty I can use. 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts