Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think the battery is not holding a charge as long as it should be... I thought the battery lasts 2 weeks without using the whispernet... Well it lasts only 4-5 days... I'm not suprised that the battery is losing it's charge, since Kathy's daughter had the K1 since Oct 25... So almost a year now...  However tonight I noticed something very odd... See I charged the battery lastnight... Tonight when I used it, after a few minutes, a quick message popped up saying that the Battery Is Low nd the Kindle shutdown... Hmmm Strange indeed... So I put it on charge again... After 10 minutes the light turned off... Just as I thought since I charged it already... And then I had no more problems... I guess I'll start using that extra battery now! lol... And it looks like I'll have to buy another one though as a spare... But anyways has anyone else had this certain problem with the battery?

·
Registered
921 Posts
It's a K1, correct?  The battery on mine does odd things sometimes.  Usually if I open the back, take the battery out, and put it back in it works just fine.  Not sure if the connection vibrates loose over time or what, but it seems to work.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I'm so jealous. I wish the K2 had a removable battery. I get the whole saving space, but I am still dreading the day the battery gives up and I have to turn my Kindle in to Amazon in order to replace the battery.  :(

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll try removing it and placing it back in... See if it does anything...

Yes that's one of the beautiful things about the K1... You don't have to worry about sending it back to Amazon for a replacement lol ;D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also noticed another problem... My battery was full since I just charged it... After 3 hours in Sleep Mode, now the battery is half... What's strange is that it's half in Sleep Mode and when I return to Home, then it shows full again... Totally strange...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't think the K1 was ever said to have a battery charge of two weeks without Whispernet. I've always heard it was one week, and that sounds about right based on my experiences.

It's the K2 that supposedly has the two week battery life.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
It may be time for a new battery.
deb

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hate to sound dense but what's whipernet?  I am a new user and am unfamiliar with some of the terms.  I just started using my Kindle DX--about five days now and I had to recharge the battery  last night.  I was rather surprised as I thought it should last longer.  Other than ordering books and playing around with it, I have not read a whole book.  Even after the green light indicating the reader was charged, I, too, had a message on the screen that said battery was low. I'm thinking or hoping this is some kind of quirk because the battery did look full.  I wonder if four to five days is going to be the average.  I probably will turn it off completely from here on in maybe it will last longer. 

Cert 

·
Registered
220 Posts
CS said:
I don't think the K1 was ever said to have a battery charge of two weeks without Whispernet. I've always heard it was one week, and that sounds about right based on my experiences.

It's the K2 that supposedly has the two week battery life.
Yup. the K1 was a week not two. So it actually sounds like you're getting the right amount.

Alternatively, since you bought it used is the same battery which came with it and is quite well worn at this point?

When I passed my K1 on to a friend I also suggested she get a new battery too since I had been using it steadily for a year.

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
Cert01 said:
I hate to sound dense but what's whipernet? I am a new user and am unfamiliar with some of the terms. I just started using my Kindle DX--about five days now and I had to recharge the battery last night. I was rather surprised as I thought it should last longer. Other than ordering books and playing around with it, I have not read a whole book. Even after the green light indicating the reader was charged, I, too, had a message on the screen that said battery was low. I'm thinking or hoping this is some kind of quirk because the battery did look full. I wonder if four to five days is going to be the average. I probably will turn it off completely from here on in maybe it will last longer.

Cert
"Whispernet", also abbreviated here "WN" is the Kindle's wireless connection. Amazon used that term a lot with the K1 but I'm not sure they've used it as much with the K2 or DX.

All else being equal, you draw the least amount of power actually reading, because you only use power to turn the page. Other functions of the device draw a lot more.

Wireless: Your DX arrived with wireless turned on. . .it will draw more power that way so you may want to turn if off. And, like a cell phone, if you're in an area with spotty service, it'll keep looking for a signal and draw even more power.

Indexing: If you bought books, the device needs to index them so that you can search. It does this behind the scenes and obviously draws power. If you buy a lot of books at one time, it can potentially slow things down and will definitely drain the battery faster.

Auto-Rotate. With the DX, I also understand that power is consumed faster when you have the auto-rotate function on because the device keeps having to check it's orientation. If you always read one way, you can set it and turn it off.

As to sleeping or off, well Off is off. No WN, no indexing, no rotating. During sleep those things still work. If you have a lot of indexing it's advised by many that you just let it sleep (plugged in) and do it. And I know WN stays on because the newspaper is there when I get up in the morning. It may not need to keep the orientation checker (what is that, anyway, a gyroscope?) active since sleep implies not reading so who cares which way is up.

Such is my understanding anyway. . . . .

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Someone on the Amazon board said that if you don't let these types of rechargeable batteries drain once in a while, the gauge gets messed up, so it may not keep an accurate record of exactly how much charge the battery has. Not sure this is true, but those of you with older Kindles reporting the sporadic behavior, if the gauge was inaccurate, it would explain the problem.

Don't know how you can fix it now, though.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The K1 battery was only suppose to be good for a week. Mine rarely makes it past 5 days without being fully drained. There is nothing wrong with your K1 or its battery.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the K1 everyday so the battery gets drained all the time... However I did get alarmed when after 1 hour of using the K1 the battery was at half full in Sleep Mode but when I went to the Home it was at full charge... I did this 3 times putting it into Sleep Mode still half full, and returning to Home again and it was full... Like I said it was strange... I bet when I try to use it now it will be almost drained lol

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The battery on the K1 will drain quickly with the Whispernet on. It should hold a charge for at least 4 - 7 days without Whispernet, but that would be determined on how many hours a day you are reading. MagicalWingLT, the replacement battery I sent is not that old, so if it giving you a problem I can email Amazon and see what they say. I went to check and the order date on the battery was March 29, 2009. It should still be good.

With my K1, when I would put Whispernet on it would quickly drain to 1/2 full. Then when I turned Whispernet off it would jump back up to almost full.

Kathy

·
Registered
279 Posts
My K1 is about 1 yr and 3 mos old, and I'm starting to notice that it's not holding it's charge. I keep it charged over night, and the last 3 days I've gotten about  6 - 8 hours out of it, each day - with minimal whispernet usage (just enought to download a book, and update my feed book subscriptions).

I'm about to buy a replacement battery, and I have 2 questions -

1 - Does the low battery make turning pages much slower?  I've seen a longer than usual time lapse during page turning in the last couple of days; and
2 - Is the Amazon replacement battery the same as what is in there now - or is it a better battery?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
When is the last time you did a reset?  The Kindle is, after all, a computer.  Sometimes they work better after a reboot has cleared out the cobwebs. :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
When is the last time you did a reset? The Kindle is, after all, a computer. Sometimes they work better after a reboot has cleared out the cobwebs. :D
I don't think I've ever done a reset - but I'm gonna give a try when I get home. Sounds like a good idea!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've had my K1 for 11 months and I notice a change in the ability of the battery to hold charge. Not enough for me to replace it yet, but I have a new replacement battery ready at any time.

Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts