Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Joe Hill's upcoming NOS4A2, which is about a serial killer, comes out April 30. Now that's great for the industry since he is a writer of note and this is a highly anticipated book.

But I also noticed that Dan Brown will be back with Inferno two weeks later! And of course with HIS track record Inferno will surely overshadow any momentum Joe's book might have gained by then despite the fact that Joe is horror and Dan is mystery/thriller.

And as far as I am aware that's the only clash of titans for that time period. Still...it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. What do you think?

Or were a few of you not even aware these books were coming?

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
I've no interest in Joe Hill.  I'll pick up the Dan Brown book when the price is right.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'll be going nowhere near Dan Brown... ughh.

I don't think Joe Hill has the same kind of commerical profile as Brown, unfortunately, but I'll read his book at some point. Probably not straight away as I still have some of his back catelogue to read first.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Not a huge fan of Joe Hill (wasn't that fussed on Heart Shaped Box at all). But I do like Dan Brown so will look out for that one! Don't know about the US, but in the UK, I would expect Dan Brown to have a much bigger mainstream following. Joe Hill is far more niche in horror/dark fantasy and nowhere near as well-known yet as his dad!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Of all the books between them, I've only read one, Angels and Demons -- which I found to be reasonably entertaining empty calories -- so no, I'm not waiting with bated breath for either of these. :)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I'm not a fan of books about serial killers, and I stopped reading Dan Brown's work after several of the early ones, so I'm not likely to read anything from either.

Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Joe Hill is one of my favourite authors, and I'll be picking up his new release at launch. For anyone who hasn't heard of him, you may have heard of his more famous father, Stephen King? Hill writes like King did in his early days -  fast paced, relentless, emotionally affecting horror. His collection 20th Century Ghosts is, I feel, his strongest work, but Heart Shaped Box was also excellent.

In the meantime, Dan Brown could quit writing tomorrow and I think the world would instantly become a better place.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like Dan Brown, but wasn't aware of Inferno coming out?  In 25 words or less, anybody have any idea what it's about?

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts

More than 25 words, but here's what it says in the description on Amazon:

In his international blockbusters The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown masterfully fused history, art, codes, and symbols. In this riveting new thriller, Brown returns to his element and has crafted his highest-stakes novel to date.

In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history's most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces . . . Dante's Inferno.

Against this backdrop, Langdon battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle that pulls him into a landscape of classic art, secret passageways, and futuristic science. Drawing from Dante's dark epic poem, Langdon races to find answers and decide whom to trust . . . before the world is irrevocably altered.

Set to be released for Kindle on May 14.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm hooked. I love a good conspiracy theory. But in the UK at £7.20 for the kindle version, I may as well spend an extra couple of pounds and have the hardback... or better still wait for the paperback.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Not interested in either one but I'll actively avoid Dan Brown (no interest in seeing my favorite poet's work butchered, thank you).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I cannot stand Dan Brown. His hatred for religion aside for a moment, his books are poorly researched (Digital Fortress for example).

Hill however is quite the writer. He is quite like his father, except a bit more succinct in his wording.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've read two books by each author before, but I doubt I'll ever get around to reading a third - barring unexpected immortality or imprisonment with limited libraries. There are so many other writers and other books to discover; and neither of these authors are what I'd call good wells for repeat visits.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I enjoy them both

But I admire Joe even more because he wanted to make a name for himself BEFORE the name connection kicked in and he did it. (His middle name is Hillstrom)

Good thing too... can you imagine the ribbing he must have taken as a kid? Put the name together for a moment..... Joeking ( joking)

Anyway thanks for the replies. Interesting mix here so far. And I'm glad a few of you weren't aware new material was due out. Always glad to help with that sort of thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll certainly read both, but I don't see comparing the two. They have a different fan base, generally speaking anyway. Hill's style is totally bizarre and off the wall, while Brown is more for the general reader (which explains the bigger buzz), especially those into fast paced historical thrillers. Love 'em both though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts