Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally obsessed with this show. Has anyone here seen it?

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, SHERLOCK is Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Moriarty, Mycroft, Inspector LeStrad, et al, in 21st Century London and IMO it's *brilliant.*

So well done. Holmes is played by the uber asexual Benedict Cumberbatch (I even love his name!), and he's so dry and witty and I just love it.

Anyone else???

·
Super Moderator
67,449 Posts
There were several episodes on Masterpiece last summer. . . . .is it back?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
They're just wrapping up shooting on the second series of it today I believe.  Unless Moffat was tweeting about Doctor Who wrapping up, but pretty sure he's been shooting Sherlock.  I just hope he keeps Sherlock as good as the first series, because he's starting to disappoint me a bit with his Doctor Who stuff.  He was an amazing one or two episode guy for the show, but give him an entire season and things just start going a bit pear-shaped.  It was such a relief to see Russell T. Davies in action again with the premiere of Torchwood last week.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I LOVE it! I'm so excited for new episodes, it's not even funny. I've even been popping in on several Sherlock fansites lately. I'm a dork, what can I say?

It's an incredible show and the entire cast is just stunning. I'd be completely lying if I said I didn't have a tiny crush on Eggs Benedict Cucumberpatch. ;)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I got my family in to it. My best friend WriterNovelist, and I watched it last winter. Loved it

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
JRainey said:
I LOVE it! I'm so excited for new episodes, it's not even funny. I've even been popping in on several Sherlock fansites lately. I'm a dork, what can I say?

It's an incredible show and the entire cast is just stunning. I'd be completely lying if I said I didn't have a tiny crush on Eggs Benedict Cucumberpatch. ;)
you are not alone.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Awesome show, but they only made 3 episodes to start.  And it was on Public Television around these parts.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Yeah, they had planned on only making 3 episodes and being done, but it was such a huge hit in the UK that they decided on a second series.  BBC is a lot different than American television (for the most part).  While we run things into the ground, they are very keen on ending a show when it should end and many of their series actually end after just a few seasons of 6 episodes or less.  Just look at their "The Office" (which we took ours from) compared to theirs... they had 14 episodes and that's including specials despite being wildly popular, while our office has had 140 episodes and is still going despite getting pretty long in the tooth.

I do believe Sherlock has only been aired in the US on PBS, I guess BBC America is too busy showing Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The show was brilliant - and one I've watched more than once.  Can't wait until the next season, given that they are apparently adapting some of the classic Sherlock Holmes stories, including Hound of the Baskervilles and a Scandal in Bohemia.

Incidentally both the main characters will be appearing in The Hobbit movie - Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of Smaug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anguabell said:
I love the show and have it on DVD. I think both actors are amazing. First time I saw it though I had to turn the subtitles on :)
Me too. The subtitles can be distracting, but at least I don't miss any of Holmes's gems. LOL. "What must it be like...being you."

Watson is okay--he's growing on me. I love Holmes and Mycroft tho. To me they are nail on the head perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JRainey said:

LOL. I sort of have a crush on him too...in a geek sort of crush way. I can see why the girls on the show fall for him, but I love that he's so Holmesian in his asexuality. I just don't buy Holmes ever having a lover--male or female.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A.S. Warwick said:
Incidentally both the main characters will be appearing in The Hobbit movie - Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of Smaug.
Ooh! Didn't know that about The Hobbit. Now I'm doubly interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I adore this show. I watched all of the first season twice and made hubby watch it too. Now I can't wait to see what they've got in store for us next season.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I see it's on the netflix instant queue so I might check it out. I like Martin Freeman, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the show. :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a terrific Sherlock Holmes. I didn't think I would like the updating of the stories but I found it worked really well. Re the BBC having short series I think this is a good strategy as it leaves you waiting for more as opposed to wondering how much longer they can drag it out for (though at various times I have been a big fan of series such as 'House' and 'Castle' as well)
In my opinion the most recent Doctor Who episodes have been awful - full of in-jokes, self-indulgent lengthy philosophising and plot twists you can't possibly understand unless you've memorised the past 101 episodes. My son and his friends love it, so maybe it's just a young people's show now. I did enjoy it with David Tennant as Doctor Who as I like him so much as an actor - I saw him live in the theatre once and he was wonderful.
I hate Torchwood too.
Sorry to stray from the topic a bit!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Loved it.  There needs to be more!

I like the guy who plays Watson too.  He was enjoyable in Love Actually and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
cecilia_writer said:
In my opinion the most recent Doctor Who episodes have been awful - full of in-jokes, self-indulgent lengthy philosophising and plot twists you can't possibly understand unless you've memorised the past 101 episodes. My son and his friends love it, so maybe it's just a young people's show now. I did enjoy it with David Tennant as Doctor Who as I like him so much as an actor - I saw him live in the theatre once and he was wonderful.
I hate Torchwood too.
Sorry to stray from the topic a bit!
Nah, I know young people who aren't happy too. People who are easily swayed by plot twists that are impossible for you to figure out are really enjoying the new shows, but if you look past all that you really see how little development of those plots there really is. The problem is RTD (Davies who wrote the show before Tennant left) wrote character driven shows that let us get to know the cast and care about what happened to them. Moffat writes plot driven shows that are all about effects and wow factor with plot twists... he hasn't let us really care about even Matt Smith's Doctor which is a shame and not fair to Matt Smith. The best one so far since Moffat took over was The Doctor's Wife... and it was written by Neil Gaiman.

Okay back on topic!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts