Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an expensive lesson learned I can share with you.

I worked with Claudia at PhatPuppy for covers on a series of novellas I was planning. I found the cover art for two and went ahead with them, working closely with Claudia for exactly the look I wanted. They came out absolutely gorgeous because she is a top notch artist.

I then sent the first novella for the look-see to my Amazon editor, fully thinking he would not be interested because of length, etc. Well, I've already posted about it a while back, but long story short, that novella was turned into 3-full-length books and an AP deal for a trilogy. The bad news is that Amazon wants to do their own covers. So now I have two beautifully designed covers that absolutely fit the storylines, and cost me quite a penny. I do plan to work with Claudia on changing the typography and could possibly write future stories to match them, but it's going to be difficult because in my brain they already so closely match the characters in the trilogy. I really don't know if I'll be able to recycle them and that makes me so sad. (I'll add that Claudia graciously offered to tweak them to Amazon's liking)

Take from my experience what you will. And for those of you who don't know of Phatpuppy...take a peek. Her work is awesome.

http://phatpuppyart.com/p445086999

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Good to know!

And I second your comments on Claudia's skills.  She's the best out there for that style of cover, hands down.  She's done several covers for me and is an absolute joy to work with.  Professional, friendly, fast, talented.  You can't ask for more.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ruecole said:
Oh, that would bum me out, too. Could you maybe use them for some spin-off short stories from the series? Rue
Maybe.

If I can find the time and a big if whether AP would let me. I know it would only benefit them as publishers, so I don't know why they wouldn't agree, but ultimately they have final say so on future stories with those characters. Makes it a bit more complicated.

I even bought the photo stock licensing separately from Teresa Yeh, a photographer that has done crazy beautiful work. We were so excited about using her art. http://www.teresayeh.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts