Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me start off this post by saying I in no way blame Oberon for my problem.

So, I was reading Baby, when my other baby, aka 3 year old Anna Grace, grabbed my arm.  When she did, my dragonfly oberon charm swung up and hit the screen.  I almost died!  I checked it over and no crack, no harm.  Until later, when I noticed a black spot, which to me looks like the electronic ink, which has appeared right where the charm hit my screen.  It will not come off and no amount of refreshing is helping.  I'm hoping it will go away on it's own, but I wanted to warn everyone to be careful with their charms. 

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, at least it's not a cracked screen!  :)

It's a fairly small place, but noticeable, especially as I'm reading.  The good news it that my husband is extremely anal about electronic devices and has now made it his life mission to find a way to fix it.  Of course, I may never get Baby out of his hands now....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've tried turning it off completely, cleaning the screen, refreshing....pretty much everything we could think of.

·
Registered
333 Posts
yeah, i accidentally smacked my screen with my charm too.... I have been contemplating taking it off because of that but I really like it so I am being more careful about sandwiching it between the back and front when its folded back and that helps.  I was lucky and didn't get the dot or mark, yikes!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
My theory is that the shock of the impact against the screen surface disrupted the polarity of the black particles. Perhaps leaving it off over night will allow then to recover.

The ink jet technology in the Kindle works using positively charged white and negatively charged black pigment particles that are electromagnetically moved to the surface of the display spheres which are similar to pixels in a CRT.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for the info.  I'll leave it off tonight and see if it helps.  Expect an update tomorrow!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Good luck!!

And Jeff, thanks for posting that e-ink diagram, I had been wondering how the technology worked. 

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for that info Jeff.  :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jeff said:
My theory is that the shock of the impact against the screen surface disrupted the polarity of the black particles. Perhaps leaving it off over night will allow then to recover.

The ink jet technology in the Kindle works using positively charged white and negatively charged black pigment particles that are electromagnetically moved to the surface of the display spheres which are similar to pixels in a CRT.

Very detailed explanation. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very neat and I hope Baby recovers overnight :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Jeff said:
First of all - I don't want anybody to try this!

What will happen if a magnet comes in contact with the screen?

I remember doing this to my CRT monitor and it was very pretty and kind of cool to watch the colors (but it can ruin the monitor).

I'm guessing it would also ruin the Kindle screen. But would you be able to 'draw' with the magnet? I'm guessing it would kind of look like an etch-a-sketch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts