Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you got your Kindle, where did you used to buy your books? (NOT counting regular bookstores)

For me:

- Airports
- Thrift/secondhand stores
- Used bookstores
- Campus store (when I attended college, it had several $1 book bins)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I rarely buy books, even now. I still get a majority of my books from the library. I have ten out right now.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Used Bookstores, Libraries, Thrift Stores/Salvation Army/Goodwill, and Amazon.com.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used to haunt used bookstores in whatever city I was in, usually coming home from vacation with twice as many books as I started with.  I also found a great souce online at www.alibris.com.  They have used books by many of my favorite authors for $3 or less and free shipping when you spend more than $49.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Anywhere I don't have to pay full price.  When I find myself stuck somewhere without a book and I have to pay cover price, I break out in hives.  Authors rarely make money on me. 

Except for Gabaldon and Rowling, I never buy new hardbacks.  Even my beloved Miss Julia series doesn't tempt me to buy the hardback, and when it comes out in paperback, I'll get it from Amazon.  Now I'll get the new ones in Kindle. 

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
CS said:
Before you got your Kindle, where did you used to buy your books? (NOT counting regular bookstores)

For me:

- Airports
- Thrift/secondhand stores
- Used bookstores
- Campus store (when I attended college, it had several $1 book bins)
All of these, plus grocery store, Wal Mart... pretty much any where you find books.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Ditto on all the below. I had books I didn't buy that were swapped with friends, my Mom and sister. They are not happy that I am a Kindleholic.  ;)

Linda

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used to do bookmooch,  sometimes I would get books at the local Borders.  I work at a used bookstore/comic shop so sometimes something comes in once in a while that I like.  I prefer science fiction and fantasy, which is something that doesn't come in commonly... no one in this area seems to want to give em up!  But occasionally some kindly person will bring in a truckload of sci-fi/fant. and then I am in first pick heaven.  Too bad the kindle cant do color yet, I would love to be able to read comics on it.  My graphic novel bookshelf is full to the brim right now  :-\ 

·
Registered
273 Posts
Library, online with Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Wherever I happen to be :) 

Amazon, BJ's, Borders, Barns & Noble. . . . .my folks house.  O.K.  I don't 'buy' books there, but I all ways prowl around to see what new books might be available for borrowing  ;D

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Amazon for the vast majority. Airport bookstores when I was traveling. Borders when I am here at home (rare).

L

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Garage Sales
Used Bookstores
E-Bay
Safeway
Drug Store
Airport
Audible.com

After I am done with books I do one of the following:

1.  Donate to Library in South Dakota - (The county is hurting for $$ and they are not buying any new books
    at the library).

2.  Give them to my friends -- strangers --

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My local library has a used book cart...paperbacks 25 cents Hardbound 50-1.00. 
New:  (Besides Border's) Target, Sam's Club

·
Registered
383 Posts
My favorite place was my Mom's house = FREE! ;D
Then the library bookstore most = $.25
Then Amazon's used sellers
if new release, only paperback, at Costco, Target, etc.

The Kindle is actually costing me money, (except for those AWESOME freebies)
but DH LOVES not seeing DTB all over!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts