Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a couple of times but thought I'd say a formal hello. I'm a retired public librarian and have had my Kindle since May (it's my constant companion, and I read a couple of hours a day). I've tried to keep the # of books on it to a couple of pages, but that's about to go by the wayside, what with all the new free books lately.

My reading interests are primarily suspense, general fiction, history, and philosophy of religion, but I'll read almost anything that's well-written. Currently I'm reading The Cloud Atlas, A History of Histories, and Thirteen American Arguments. I do paper art, have two freshwater aquariums, and spend copious time with my young nieces/nephews, who live nearby. I also maintain a family history website, based on my ongoing genealogical search, and help run a health-related group on listserv.

Glad I found KindleBoards!

Margaret

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Welcome again, Margaret!

Here are Kindleboards links to the books Margaret's reading:

You might also be interested in this topic on the Francis Parkman Prize http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1520.0.html

The Cloud Atlas sounds really fascinating for me, I've downloaded a sample!

Betsy

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hello, Margaret -

Always good to meet a fellow librarian!

Two freshwater tanks?  Cool.  I've been wanting to take up that hobby.  I been collecting bits and pieces for a tank of my own when my Dad went through the basement of his house (where I stored the stuff) and got rid of it all.  :(  It turned out okay cause I never did find a good space to place one.  Still on my eventual to-do, though.  What kind of fish do you have?

I have an interest in religious philosophy, too.  What books have you liked in this area?

Ooops, that is enough questions from me! 

Glad to have you here,

Marci

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marci said:
Hello, Margaret -

Always good to meet a fellow librarian!

Two freshwater tanks? Cool. I've been wanting to take up that hobby. I been collecting bits and pieces for a tank of my own when my Dad went through the basement of his house (where I stored the stuff) and got rid of it all. :( It turned out okay cause I never did find a good space to place one. Still on my eventual to-do, though. What kind of fish do you have?

I have an interest in religious philosophy, too. What books have you liked in this area?
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

The aquariums I have are a 56-gallon with rainbows, loaches and a huge pleco, and a 20-gallon with tetras and cory cats. I've gotten very fond of all these little guys and recently when our power went out for 5 hours on a wintry day and neighbors were insisting I come to spend the night next to warm wood stoves I just couldn't leave. Had to be here to be sure the tanks started up right when the power came back on. Everyone survived.

Over the years I've read much of Karen Armstrong, Bart Ehrman and Bishop Spong, among others, as well as various Hindu works, particularly about Ramakrishna, and most of the books by Ram Dass and his group. My main interest in Christianity is the first century, or "the lost period', as I think of it. While no longer a practicing devotee of any particular creed, I am fascinated by the religious fervor of so many, many people throughout history who have been convinced they had "the truth" nailed down. Anyway, didn't want to get into an open discussion of religion, just answer Marci's questions.

I've just finished

which was both magical and a great read (5 stars) and have now started on

Good to be here!

Margaret

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
auntmarge said:
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

The aquariums I have are a 56-gallon with rainbows, loaches and a huge pleco, and a 20-gallon with tetras and cory cats. I've gotten very fond of all these little guys and recently when our power went out for 5 hours on a wintry day and neighbors were insisting I come to spend the night next to warm wood stoves I just couldn't leave. Had to be here to be sure the tanks started up right when the power came back on. Everyone survived.

Over the years I've read much of Karen Armstrong, Bart Ehrman and Bishop Spong, among others, as well as various Hindu works, particularly about Ramakrishna, and most of the books by Ram Dass and his group. My main interest in Christianity is the first century, or "the lost period', as I think of it. While no longer a practicing devotee of any particular creed, I am fascinated by the religious fervor of so many, many people throughout history who have been convinced they had "the truth" nailed down. Anyway, didn't want to get into an open discussion of religion, just answer Marci's questions.

I've just finished

which was both magical and a great read (5 stars) and have now started on

Good to be here!

Margaret
Margaret, I have added both of those to my wish list and downloaded samples. Both look like books I would really enjoy. I am on a book buying budget, so there will be no more 1-clicks for me until after Christmas!! Thanks for posting those links!

·
Registered
869 Posts
"Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

Over the years I've read much of Karen Armstrong, Bart Ehrman and Bishop Spong, among others, as well as various Hindu works, particularly about Ramakrishna, and most of the books by Ram Dass and his group. My main interest in Christianity is the first century, or "the lost period', as I think of it. While no longer a practicing devotee of any particular creed, I am fascinated by the religious fervor of so many, many people throughout history who have been convinced they had "the truth" nailed down. Anyway, didn't want to get into an open discussion of religion, just answer Marci's questions. "

Hi, Aunt Marge -

Glad to hear your fishes made it through! Aside from the difficult task of keeping the tanks clean & healthy, power outages seems to be the one big natural disaster for those with aquariums.

Looks like we have similar reading tastes. I love the Bishop Spong books. Karen Armstrong is on my to-read list, and I will need to check out Bart Ehrmand as I have not heard of him. I have a more than passing interest in Buddhism and I have enjoyed the Ram Dass books that I have read. You can't seem to miss him on my local PBS station ::)

"Into the Woods" and the "Cloud Atlas" look great!

Thanks for your reply & look forward to more of your book recommendations,

Marci

·
Registered
869 Posts
sylvia said:
Hello
I am a librarian and people think it is a bit of a betrayal that i have this device! I won't give it up though. I am currently reading "Dewey" a great advocate for libraries.
sylvia
Well, I'm a librarian too and I certainly don't see it as a "betrayal" to own a Kindle. As someone said somewhere on the Amazon Kindle discussion boards, books will *not* be disappearing overnight; they will still be around for quite some time.

Dewey, ooooo what a sweet cover to that book! ;D I've got a sample of it & too many books to read but it is on my list.

Marci

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought about the betrayal issue for a while, but the Kindle makes it so much easier and more convenient to read that I decided I came first.... For a few months I also read samples and then ordered the book from the library.  But I've got such a backlog now (and a gift card logged on Amazon from turning all my change in to CoinStar), that I haven't been to the library (from which I retired!) in a couple of months.  I should really stop by and treat them to some holiday goodies so they know I still love them.

Margaret

1 - 16 of 16 Posts