Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use their Kindle to listen to music while they are reading? Do you find adding music easy?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I only use mine for reading, I use my i-Pod for music.
Ditto on the above: Kindle for reading; I-Pod (and/or CD's, or tapes, or actual records) for music. My thought is that it uses WAY too much space, and can't hope to duplicate the sound quality of the I-Pod...particularly when the latter is sound-docked in the BOSE system for same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wondered about the quality because I've never tried it.  I gave my iPhone to my youngest and my iPod was stolen.  oh well, last fm for me!

I

·
0 Posts
I have just 2 mp3's on mine and use them for demo purposes.  Once i get my new 16GB SD card, I may move some of my music from my computer to my Kindle. 

My other concern is the music playing sucks up the battery.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I let Luke,  age 8  play music today while he was reading Peter Rabbit and some of the Aesop fables.

Found out the music does not turn off after 10 minutes when he left the Kindle and went to kitchen for a snack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put the Dungeons and Dragons soundtrack on mine which is 24 instrumental songs to be used as background music at the gaming table. It works great for reading fantasy novels on the Kindle as well.

I find reading to instrumental music, Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack, Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, Star Wars soundtrack, etc. adds an additional layer to the reading experience.

Transferring music is as easy as plugging in your Kindle to your computer and dragging MP3s from your music to it.

I have a 4 gig card, so I have no problem with room.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Soon after receiving my Kindle I bought an SD card so I could put music on it. It worked really slick and is great to listen to while reading. I usually use it with my earphones while reading in bed while hubby is sleeping. If you have good quality earphones the sound will be fine. I also have an mp3 player but since I can do both things with the Kindle, I prefer to do it that way. Just one more contraption I don't have to hook up to while reading in bed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've put one album on my Kindle, or rather, the SD card that was in the Kindle. It was easy but took longer than I thought it should have taken.

I got a 120GB iPod Classic last week along with a Sony VAIO VGC-JS160J/S 20.1-Inch All-in-one PC (I love the keyboard) and I've been busy transferring my cd's to the iPod. By the time that I'm done I'll have my entire cd collection on it, the Kindle just cannot compare.

I

·
0 Posts
While the kindle can play music, that isn't it's primary purpose.  There is no way it can compete with gadgets designed for playing mp3s.  I just look at it as a little extra icing on an excellent product.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I tried the Music Player function and was underwhelmed. I have a SansaClip 4GB MP3 player and clip it to my Kindle cover.

B

·
0 Posts
magehammer said:
I put the Dungeons and Dragons soundtrack on mine which is 24 instrumental songs to be used as background music at the gaming table. It works great for reading fantasy novels on the Kindle as well.

I find reading to instrumental music, Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack, Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, Star Wars soundtrack, etc. adds an additional layer to the reading experience.

Transferring music is as easy as plugging in your Kindle to your computer and dragging MP3s from your music to it.

I have a 4 gig card, so I have no problem with room.
And you thought I was a geek!!!!

Just teasing a little bit, Magehammer--I listened to my vinyl album of the SW soundtrack until I wore it out.

B

·
0 Posts
Vampyre said:
While the kindle can play music, that isn't it's primary purpose. There is no way it can compete with gadgets designed for playing mp3s. I just look at it as a little extra icing on an excellent product.
Mmmmmm...... icing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
For those who like to listen to classical music while they read - you can download a bunch of mp3 classical songs - free - from amazon.
It will take up a lot of the memory - unless you put it on a SD card.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Vampyre said:
While the kindle can play music, that isn't it's primary purpose. There is no way it can compete with gadgets designed for playing mp3s. I just look at it as a little extra icing on an excellent product.
From my point of view the only other MP3 player that can compete with the 120GB iPod (space/price ratio) is the 120 GB Zune. Beyond those two most of the MP3 players don't even have enough room for all of my music (I currently have 14.81 GB's worth of music on my computer, and I have at least 100 more cd's to put on it still), the few that do have enough room for my music cost way too much, and leave very little room for video.

If I hadn't bought the 120GB iPod I would have used the Kindle for music.

B

·
0 Posts
Orrrr.... you can put on an album or CD on the "stereo" and nestle down in your chair in the adjoining room and read/listen the day away without nasty bugs in your ears.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts