Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you like to read this season? What book would you recommend to others?

For me, "The Book of Christmas" (part of the Enchanted World series) is always fun to flip through. It has interesting folklore tales about the holiday, and many high-quality illustrations.

I also enjoying rereading Jack London's "To Build a Fire", which brings to mind real winters in Canada; or Rhon's "Of Snow", with excellent descriptions of Antarctica. (I live in California, so I'll take the cold where I can get it.)

How 'bout you?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been reading some light cozy mystery novels (Kathi Daley, Anna Celeste Burke) and a number of short stories of various types that are "seasonal", along with a bit of general mystery (mostly in audio) & sci-fi.

Nothing I'd be writing book reports on for my old HS English teacher -- way too lightweighty.
:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I always enjoy cozy English fiction around this time of year. D.E. Stevenson, Miss Read, Angela Thirkell, etc. Or for something completely different, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising is the most Christmassy fantasy book I've ever read!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Louise Bates said:
I always enjoy cozy English fiction around this time of year. D.E. Stevenson, Miss Read, Angela Thirkell, etc. Or for something completely different, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising is the most Christmassy fantasy book I've ever read!
I enjoy English fiction too, albeit the older stuff. Jane Austen or Charles Dickens for example. It lends itself well to a nice armchair by the fireside.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Louise Bates said:
Have you tried the Miss Dimity series by Nancy Atherton?
I read those years ago & enjoyed them. There is one "Christmas" one.
Seems to be categorized as "traditional" but has plenty of cozy type ideas going on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rychard said:
I enjoy English fiction too, albeit the older stuff. Jane Austen or Charles Dickens for example. It lends itself well to a nice armchair by the fireside.
Yes, Dickens especially! (For some odd reason, I always feel more like Austen in autumn.) I've been vacillating between Our Mutual Friend and Bleak House for this year's long winter read.

Fogeydc said:
Have you tried the Miss Dimity series by Nancy Atherton?
I read those years ago & enjoyed them. There is one "Christmas" one.
Seems to be categorized as "traditional" but has plenty of cozy type ideas going on.
I have read some of those! I have a vague memory of the Christmas one ... it might be time to give it a re-read.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts