Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the ideal size for a cover?
Does Amazon have a different size requirement than say iTunes or B&N?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm curious about this. I always make my covers 1607 x 2500. And I know I sized that up from back when my books were 1200-ish pixels on the longest side. But I can't remember where I got the initial numbers from.

What do other people do?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Well, not so very specific in some cases.

Amazon likes 2500 on the longest side, and roughly tall and thin. What you do with that is up to you. We recently redid the kindle covers making them wider and are happy with the effect. They now have the same 6x9 ratio as you would see on a print cover. (Not sure what the ratio is on the "recommended" amazon cover, it's less than 6 though.)

Generally checking with each individual outlet is how you build the list you need. I currently work with 6x9 kindle (2500 on the long side) and 600x800 for epub.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Pixel-wise, I try to get artists to make me the most high-res covers they can so I'll still be able to upload to Apple after they introduce the Cornea Monitors in 2017. Can always shrink them down.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
T.L. Haddix said:
Epub requirements depend on the retailer. Definitely check your specific retailer's specs before you try to upload, as that can get a book rejected from some places if it is wrong.
These are not distributed. I'm in Select for all titles. They are for review purposes only.

·
Registered
502 Posts
1563 x 2500 for amazon is optimal, however I usually make cover 1800 x 2400 as it seems to work best as a cover that converts to all platforms.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
jesrphoto said:
1563 x 2500 for amazon is optimal, however I usually make cover 1800 x 2400 as it seems to work best as a cover that converts to all platforms.
Yes, and this is something which should absolutely be considered when people do their covers.

We do them in house so different aspect ratios works better.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
T.L. Haddix said:
My advice, if that was indeed your question, is to look at the most popular books in your genre, and get as close as you can. Conform to the bestsellers in all the ways that don't compromise your artistic integrity, and you'll fit in better.
This. FWIW, 5.25x8 is the standard trade paperback size for YA, so if you write YA you'll probably want to stick with 5.25x8 so it doesn't look "off."

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
T.L. Haddix said:
A lot of people go with 6 x 9 because it's a little cheaper (bigger pages = more words per page = less printing cost) but reading a book that big is too uncomfortable for me personally. Hurts my wrists.
Same here. I've never heard men complain about the size, but I've heard a lot of women who say 6x9 is uncomfortable to read because it's just too large so not easily held. (Not to mention it doesn't fit in the average purse.) So if you write a genre where you're likely to have a lot of women readers, 6x9 is probably not the best size, although it is definitely cheaper to produce.

I wish they had a mass market size. It would be great, but then again maybe not. There's no way we'd be able to charge mass market prices, so since we have to charge trade prices anyway, it's probably best to, well, you know, sell a trade paperback. :D

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
T.L. Haddix said:
Ah, but you can do mass market size. You have to do a custom size, and Glendon knows the specifics, but we have had a couple of clients who did just that. And you can get pretty darned close to the high end of mass market pricing.
Oooh...that sounds pretty great. Of course, I write YA, so it's best to just stick to 5.25x8, but I'll mention that to friends who write romance who have complained about the lack of MM size.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
1600x2400 is what I use for my e-books and I have not had any issues.  For print I use 5.06x7.81 and they look nice on the book shelf next to other books in my genera.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
(Not to mention it doesn't fit in the average purse.)
How do we men ever manage to carry our books? ;)

Personally I like 6x9 because a lot of fantasy comes in that size (or just a bit smaller/just a bit larger) but I'm thinking I may actually end up doing the shorts as standalone POD books, and if I do I'm very likely to use a smaller format purely because the books are so brief. So, in essence, trying for the opposite of the cramming of more words on the page. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts