Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the proof copy of my book arrived in the mail.

When I ordered it I had no idea how good it would feel to actually hold it in my hands. To flick through the pages, and see the words I had written. To be able to smell and touch it. To run my hands along the shiny cover.

Then my son stole it and put it on his bookshelf, next to his favourite book series - The Saga of Darren Shan. That made me get all teary-eyed that he was so proud of me. Now I just have to figure out how to steal it back.

I feel all warm and gooey and gushy. I bet I sound it too.

I didn't expect to feel this way. I thought I would only get this feeling if it was 'a proper book' that had been sent to me by a 'real publisher'.

HF was I wrong!!

I also got another 5 star review that added to my happy - from an Amazon Top 1000 reviewer. I seriously nearly crapped myself. Sorry for the visual.

I would love to know if anyone else has ordered their books. Once upon a time 'vanity' publishing was the sort of thing I would have rolled my eyes at - boy have the times changed. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shaun Dowdall said:
Congratulations! Can't wait to experience that feeling myself, well maybe not the crapping part ;)
LMAO - your response actually made me laugh out loud. Full snort-chuckle. I highly recommend it. Not the crapping part of course - but getting to hold it in your hands - such an amazing rush. Seeing your words on paper. Knowing that you did that. It kind of changed my perspective. Hard to explain what I mean, other than to say 'it felt more real'.

RE: crapping myself - I was so d*mn scared when I saw that little 'Top 1000 Reviewer' badge that I was too scared to read it at first. I had to take a really big, deep breath. And another. Then I looked at the stars. Told myself to get a grip. Then I skimmed through it without hardly taking a word in. Then I read it again and again with a ginormous smile plastered to my face.

Go order your book now! Seriously - best investment I have made in a while.

ETA - re your 'First Time Nerves' blog. Go for it - you might be pleasantly surprised :) I was. And I was terrified of pushing that 'publish' button. So glad I did. Good luck. (I was wondering why you didn't have a signature so I clicked your link)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have been telling myself I'd do print soon. Whenever soon is; I didn't define that part. Then I recently heard strange words come out of my mouth. I told someone it would be available in print in June. Where did that come from? I guess that was a commitment and I knew I had to get busy on it. Now I'm thinking...why wait until June? Yet, I haven't moved forward. I suspect this procrastination is fear, fear of seeing my work in hard copy. Your post has encouraged me. CHARGE!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts