Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what is the best selling genre on Kindle??

I would love to hear your comments.

Conrad

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've heard on TV in the UK that crime is the most popular genre for books in general, with a crime novel selling every few seconds or something like that. But I have a feeling on Kindle it's probably romance just looking at the ones that seem to have very high numbers of downloads. You could easily see by looking in Kindle Books for fiction to see the top 100 books and which genres they're in.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Points for Adele but none for us. I just found an article with these numbers in them:

"This is a bit more straight forward, of the people buying at least one fiction book a year, just under half (48%) buy what is classed as Mystery, Thriller and Crime.

This is a pretty broad spectrum but gives us some indication of buying trends. Yet, I suspect this will be no surprise. The figure did leave me wondering if mega-writers such as Dan Brown altered buying habits. For example, how many people bought Dan Brown because he is a best seller, but not because they are a fan of his book genre? The same goes for J.K. Rowling, I bet a lot of readers buy Harry Potter but no other fantasy.

The second most popular book genre was Science Fiction with 26% of readers buying Sci Fi books, 'Literature' was close on its heels with 24% and Romance is worthy of a mention with 21% of the market."

http://proactivewriter.com/blog/what-is-the-best-book-genre-to-write/

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think ebooks could be a little different to print books. Erotica may well sell far more on Kindle than as a print book because of the anonymity of the buyer. A friend of mine writes lesbian literary fiction, which isn't erotica, but she sells far more Kindles than anyone else I know. When it comes to print books I hear over and over that crime/mystery/thrillers are the most popular. Thanks for providing the figures.

It's so encouraging to see literature in there. Literary fiction can comprise all of the other genres and be a real page-turner. Thank goodness for Look Inside which might make people more aware of this.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Interesting that it is Mystery and Crime.  I, too, was thinking that romance and erotica was at the top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit surprised. I thought horror would be a big seller seeing that so many horror movies are being made with a big fan base. Learn something everyday. 

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
remember, that's for people who only buy 1 book a year. That is NOT the largest market. 

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Romance is still the biggest genre among all readers in the US, because romance readers tend to be voracious and read a book a week or more. Even their overall percentage is lower, romance still makes up the lion's share of the market, because it's readers buy so many books, whereas mystery, crime fiction and thrillers get more 1 or 2 books a year readers.

Going by casual observation, crime/mystery/thriller indeed seems to be the strongest genre in the UK. The UK bestseller lists are dominated by crime and thrillers, whereas US lists contain a lot of romance and YA. Plus, brick and mortar bookstores in the UK don't always have a separate romance section or if they do, that section is a mess. Plus, romance sections in UK bookstores tend to contain a lot of chick lit/women's fiction and historical family sagas, neither of which would be considered romance in the US.

I actually have no idea what the most popular genre in Germany is. Going by my gut, I'd say thrillers and crime fiction, based on what I see on bestseller lists, at bookstores and grocery stores. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts