Kindle Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Deborah Curtis's very moving biography of her husband and lead singer of Joy Division, Touching from a Distance. I re-read it many times as a teenager and in my twenties.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Bretheren by Bob Woodward

If you have any interest in the US Supreme Court and how it actually operates, this is a must read.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson.

I laughed out loud so many times. It's about his travels around the United Kingdom on his own, by train,bus and foot. He tells such clever and amusing anecdotes about us British. We're a quaint race. I had the pleasure of meeting him once. A really great guy. A year later, as Chancellor of Durham University, he presented the degrees at my son's graduation ceremony. Despite it being a formal occasion, he found a way to make us all laugh.  :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh, wait, how could I forget!  I loved Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death.  It was riveting.  Really interesting history, spooky and provocative, and while it was non-fiction it really had the pacing of an exciting movie.  It was great.

Sadly, I do not believe this book is available on Kindle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone read 'The Secret' by Rhonda Byrne?  It's available as a Mobi file, but $10 I believe.  I got my paper copy  at a second hand bookshop.  Basic teaching behind it is that you attract to yourself whatever your thoughts dwell on, like. True or not it seems to me the book has some marvellous techniques for raising your game, in whatever field of endeavour you might be playing it.  I love these self help books even if my life seems to pootle along the same way for a million years.
('The Secret' is also a film, apparently.)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm not going to pick just one, but wanted to share anyway.  I have a thing for biographies and autobiographies. I love finding out about other people, especially those that lived many years ago. A couple of my favorites were: Lucille Ball and Elvis Presley.

Lia

61 - 71 of 71 Posts