Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JURY DUTY

I just went to jury duty yesterday and got to read on my kindle a lot.  Strangely though, no one commented or asked about the kindle.  I didn't see any others in the wild either.

I barely squeeked out of a trial at the last second.  I bet if I started reading on the kindle in the middle of questioning all the jurors, it would have gotten me kicked out of there a lot quicker.  I'm not ballsy enough to do that though.

What places have you found as great places to read your kindle?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
It would certainly be a great item to bring on Jury Duty! If you really wanted to get kicked, you could just let the Kindle read aloud!

Mine mostly just hangs out at home with me but I can certainly see enjoying it in doctors' waiting rooms.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My recent fav's:

Dr. / Dentist office.  Helps me relax and not stress about what's behind that door

In line at Costco - staves off boredom

At a picnic table by a lake at a county park near my home

My current favorite:  Sitting on my porch in the morning sun with my dog in my lap and a cup of tea nearby

Kathie

·
Registered
534 Posts
Latjoe said:
My current favorite: Sitting on my porch in the morning sun with my dog in my lap and a cup of tea nearby
This morning was nice enough to sit on the patio with the doogles running around the backyard! I got to use my Kindle for the first time outside.

I enjoyed kindling while waiting for a flight at the airport... What? Want the next in the series? Hop on WN!! I did look longingly at the lady across the isle who had a book out during take off and landing, though. :-\ But then I thought of all the room I had saved in my carry on. ;)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
One thin magazine could take care of that time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I take the train to work, which takes about 45 minutes, and it's a perfect opportunity for me to get some reading in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
intinst said:
One thin magazine could take care of that time.
That's a great idea! I have a lot of magazines that I haven't read since I got the Kindle. I'll do that next time, thanks! :D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My daughter has a weekly dr. appt. so I always read in the waiting room while I am waiting for her. In fact, today is the day.

I read during my lunch break at work. I try to step away from the computer and take a break (it's hard).

I am lucky that I can read in the car, so if we are driving somewhere and I'm the passenger, I can read.

I have to go to Boston tomorrow and I am debating whether to take the bus instead of drive, which will give me more reading time.

L

·
Registered
106 Posts
You know you are addicted to Kindle when...
Leslie said:
I am debating whether to take the bus instead of drive, which will give me more reading time.
Just kidding! I would do the same - then again, I don't really like driving much.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Anywhere/everywhere!  I think I have been most grateful to have it during wait times at various airports during hours long security lines and cancelled flights waiting times.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've done all of the above so I'll add a couple more.  In a ski lodge (had 4 people ask about the K) while waiting during daughter's lessons, in a car while waiting for son's soccer practice to end, and on the treadmill during my own exercise session. 

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On the back porch, in the morning, with my son playing around me and a hot cup of coffee in my hand. Or anywhere else I happen to be, like sitting in the car every Wednesday waiting for my daughter to get out of her violin lesson...sometimes they are as much as half an hour late getting out.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree, it would be ideal to take along for Jury Duty. I always used to take along a paperback before I got my first Kindle.

In my case, I don't need to use the Kindle to get out of Jury Duty. I suffer from epilepsy and whenever my name is selected, the judge calls me up to the bench along with both the defense attorney and the DA and excuses me.

I don't know why they don't just take me out of the jury pool ahead of time, but the last time I served it was a good thing.

We normally serve in the jury pool for one month and there is usually one case per week before each of the judges available at that time.

The first week there was a rape case where the defendant was found innocent. While I was sitting in the room where the full jury pool waits to be called into a court room for jury selection, two different women who had served on that jury complained that the assistant DA who had lost that case had taken them aside after the trial was over and told them what a mistake they had made and what a monster they had allowed to go free.

The next case we were called on for jury selection was another rape case with the same assistant DA. When I was called before the bench, I waited until the judge had excused me and then mentioned to the judge that if this case was tried before a jury selected from this jury pool there was a good chance that there would be a need to declare a mis-trial since there was almost no chance that anyone from the current jury pool could provide an impartial verdict in this case.

After the judge asked me to explain why, I mentioned the conversation I had heard between the two jurors from the previous case. I said that after hearing how that assistant DA had treated them, many of the jurors would never provide a guilty verdict on any case prosecuted by that assistant DA, while others would never provide a non-guilty verdict.

The judge must have agreed with me, since he asked the jury pool how many of them had overheard the conversation. After better than 50% said that they had, the judge dismissed the jury pool completely, both from that case and from any further cases.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Esther said:
I've done all of the above so I'll add a couple more. In a ski lodge (had 4 people ask about the K) while waiting during daughter's lessons, in a car while waiting for son's soccer practice to end, and on the treadmill during my own exercise session.
Count me in on the treadmill! I have the iPod going and read on my Kindle. Next thing I know, my walk is done. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
BruceS said:
I agree, it would be ideal to take along for Jury Duty. I always used to take along a paperback before I got my first Kindle.

In my case, I don't need to use the Kindle to get out of Jury Duty. I suffer from epilepsy and whenever my name is selected, the judge calls me up to the bench along with both the defense attorney and the DA and excuses me.

I don't know why they don't just take me out of the jury pool ahead of time, but the last time I served it was a good thing.

We normally serve in the jury pool for one month and there is usually one case per week before each of the judges available at that time.

The first week there was a rape case where the defendant was found innocent. While I was sitting in the room where the full jury pool waits to be called into a court room for jury selection, two different women who had served on that jury complained that the assistant DA who had lost that case had taken them aside after the trial was over and told them what a mistake they had made and what a monster they had allowed to go free.

The next case we were called on for jury selection was another rape case with the same assistant DA. When I was called before the bench, I waited until the judge had excused me and then mentioned to the judge that if this case was tried before a jury selected from this jury pool there was a good chance that there would be a need to declare a mis-trial since there was almost no chance that anyone from the current jury pool could provide an impartial verdict in this case.

After the judge asked me to explain why, I mentioned the conversation I had heard between the two jurors from the previous case. I said that after hearing how that assistant DA had treated them, many of the jurors would never provide a guilty verdict on any case prosecuted by that assistant DA, while others would never provide a non-guilty verdict.

The judge must have agreed with me, since he asked the jury pool how many of them had overheard the conversation. After better than 50% said that they had, the judge dismissed the jury pool completely, both from that case and from any further cases.
You did a great thing! I hope the judge had a chat with the ADA's boss (either DA or more senior DA). Those kinds of shenanigans have no place in the justice system and are a big cause for all of the cynicism with our entire justice system in my opinion. I'm glad you served your civic duty. Even though you weren't on a jury per se, you did more to serve justice than anybody else that jury cycle in my opinion. Good job!

·
Registered
321 Posts
At the baseball field waiting for practice to end.
While getting my oil changed.  
I am a teacher so I read in my study hall and planning period.  

I take my KK everywhere I go so any down time is spent reading.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts