Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just uploaded new kindle covers, and was very pleased they were 300 DPI. However, when I view the thumbnail image online, it appears blurrier or less sharp than some of the other covers I see. What is the best DPI for kindle covers, and what is the best file format (JPG? TIFF?). I also made the image somewhat larger than the recommended (2047X2947 about). Any ideas of what to look out for or fix?
Thank you!

·
Registered
466 Posts
For starters, use the size they recommend. Bigger is not better, only if it is a multiple of it, since their algos are optimized for taking a certain size and resizing them. That already may solve your problem.

Next would be file type - amazon recommends jpg or tiff, if you have a png, they will take it but there is conversion. Conversion equals loss of quality. Next is compression: you want uncompressed since they will compress. Compress equals conversion and again loss of quality.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645690

Question for others - as far as i understand the cover upload is not part of my file (=not part of my mb I pay for), meaning I can upload the best uncompressed optimized image without any negative impact, right?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Nicole Simon said:
Question for others - as far as i understand the cover upload is not part of my file (=not part of my mb I pay for), meaning I can upload the best uncompressed optimized image without any negative impact, right?
As far as I know, when you upload your cover, the dashboard adds it to your mobi/epub file, which means that you're going to be paying for that as part of the download. But it also compresses the image when you upload it, so it won't be nearly as big by the time it gets into your ebook file. I use Vellum, and that's how it works, so I'm assuming that the dashboard conversion software works the same way. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Nicole Simon said:
As far as I know, when you upload your cover, the dashboard adds it to your mobi/epub file, which means that you're going to be paying for that as part of the download. But it also compresses the image when you upload it, so it won't be nearly as big by the time it gets into your ebook file. I use Vellum, and that's how it works, so I'm assuming that the dashboard conversion software works the same way. I may be wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts