Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there are multiple versions of Pride & Prejudice in the Kindle store. Is the free version formatted decently or should I buy one?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I'm sure some of our members have checked them out, but if not, you can get samples of the ones you want to try and check it out, one of the beauties of the Kindle!  Also, if there are any reviews on Amazon of the particular edition, that may help!

Betsy

·
Registered
338 Posts
I posted on another thread (that I can't seem to locate at the moment) that I read the free Amazon version. As I recall, it was formatted okay (no glaring spacing or indentation errors) and I don't remember very many OCR errors - it is possible there were a few, but nothing memorable.

However, there was no Table of Contents and the chapters did not start out fresh on their own page.

Basically, it was adequate for a casual read, but if you treasure the novel and want a really nice version - you might want to look at other sources.

Vonda

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
For a complete collection of Jane Austen (the father of the modern novel), I suggest this one below, for $4.99.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
You're welcome. I find these MobileReference complete works series very well formatted and navigable. They have a suite of them, from Dickens to Tolstoy. Wells to L. Frank Baum (you know ElPhaBa). And they are reasonable at $4.99. Austen is one of my mentors, as she is a "character-driven" author.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought this plus the Works of Dickens & Twain. 

The Jane Austen collection showed up just like any other book, but the other two automatically archived.  I've been trying to download them for quite some time, but it still says they are downloading and will open automatically once the download is complete.

Why would it automatically archive those two and how long does this downloading take?  I've been waiting 20 minutes!!!

I'll post this in the Kindle forum, too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
stephanie said:
Why would it automatically archive those two and how long does this downloading take? I've been waiting 20 minutes!!!
The Dickens collection is more than twice as big as the Austen. It's probably downloading now holding up the Twain.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
stephanie, do you have a K1 or K2.  If a K1, and you have no SD card installed, it's possible that it's on board memory is full. . . . . . .

Ann

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pride Prejudice & Zombies is why I am looking for a copy of pride and prejudice. I want to read the inspiration first.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Girlebooks is also now offering contemporary authors. Check out the latest offerings: http://girlebooks.com/

·
Registered
947 Posts
modkindle said:
Pride Prejudice & Zombies is why I am looking for a copy of pride and prejudice. I want to read the inspiration first.
Unless you're already a fan of Jane Austen (and I suspect you're not if you haven't read P&P), don't bother. Pride & Prejudice and Zombies is the worst book I've read since buying my Kindle, and a huge disappointment since I was so excited to read it (I had it preordered). In my estimation, not even "ultraviolent zombie mayhem", nor swordplay, nor ninjas (yes, ninjas) can make Austen entertaining. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those things. But 90% or better of the book is the original P&P text, and it's just a smoozefest if you're not into regency romances. It took me 6 months to read, where 2-3 days is typical for a book of that length, and I more or less had to force myself to finish.

Just fair warning. :)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I always found "Pride and Prejudice" to be one of the most intricately plotted novels I've ever read.  Hardly a page goes by without a new development and the characters are among the most memorable in literature.  At the very least make up your own mind!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I read P&P as a teenager. . . .my mother had the whole set of Jane Austen. . . .the books are now on my shelf in my bedroom. . . . .I think what many readers have trouble with is the 19th century language.  And, of course, societal customs were a bit different and if you're not familiar with 'em, and some distinctly British usage, it can be very confusing. 

1 - 20 of 20 Posts