Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three new releases hitting the e-shelves imminently. My mailing list is small (under ten!) but growing (hopefully).

I need to notify the folks that the books are available. But how?

Should I send out the email via the Mailchimp interface/web site? Or should I send out the email using my regular email account and put the addresses into the "To" bar?

What's the best way to include all the information? I want to show the book covers and the links to Amazon, B&N, etc. But of course I don't want the emails to get routed to the recipients' spam folders. Will that happen if I include a bunch of links? Grr.

How do you guys do it? All advice appreciated. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
Use mailchimp to send the emails (assuming that they signed up via mailchimp). Your recipients have received emails from your mailchimp newsletter before when they opted in and the emails shouldn't go to their spam folders.

May as well start using mailchimp now so that you get a handle on it as your email list grows.

Create a campaign and send it off :)
And don't worry about putting links in the newsletter - newsletters often have links.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anya said:
Use mailchimp to send the emails (assuming that they signed up via mailchimp). Your recipients have received emails from your mailchimp newsletter before when they opted in and the emails shouldn't go to their spam folders.

May as well start using mailchimp now so that you get a handle on it as your email list grows.

Create a campaign and send it off :)
And don't worry about putting links in the newsletter - newsletters often have links.
Thanks Anya!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,637 Posts
Just remember when setting up MailChimp that you have to use an address, and it shows up at the bottom of every newsletter. Some of us didn't realize that until Kate Danley pointed it out. Make sure it's one you don't mind your readers knowing.

:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Guys, I have a question about using Mailchimp as I’m thinking of using it when I open a mailing list. I had a quick browse around the website, but I couldn’t seem to find the answer, unless I missed it.

Do you have to download anything, like software? Or is the program web based and you just log in to create your newsletter and send it out to those who have signed up?

Thanks  :0)


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KayBratt said:
Just remember when setting up MailChimp that you have to use an address, and it shows up at the bottom of every newsletter. Some of us didn't realize that until Kate Danley pointed it out. Make sure it's one you don't mind your readers knowing.

:eek:
Right. Thanks Kay, appreciate the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-alex- said:
Guys, I have a question about using Mailchimp as I'm thinking of using it when I open a mailing list. I had a quick browse around the website, but I couldn't seem to find the answer, unless I missed it.

Do you have to download anything, like software? Or is the program web based and you just log in to create your newsletter and send it out to those who have signed up?

Thanks :0)
It's web based as far as I know, but clearly I'm no expert! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
It's web-based, super easy, and free if your list is under 2000 addresses.

As for the mailing address thing -- that's the same with any bulk mail service. It's not Mailchimp's rule. It's the US federal government's rule to comply with the CAN-SPAM Act.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
KayBratt said:
Just remember when setting up MailChimp that you have to use an address, and it shows up at the bottom of every newsletter. Some of us didn't realize that until Kate Danley pointed it out. Make sure it's one you don't mind your readers knowing.

:eek:
Has this been problematic for anyone? If a person writes book that are controversial or erotic there may be good reason to be more careful, but my readers don't feel compelled to contact me. ::)

It would be a simple matter to create an address just for publishing use if needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
Get a PO Box or ask if you can use your work address. Alternatively, some RWA chapters let their members use the chapter's mailing address for this very purpose. Other writing groups might do so as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
If you aren't set up with MailChimp already, take a look at TinyLetter. It's powered by MailChimp but is a bazillion times easier. I don't know why writers use MailChimp. Great for marketers but overkill for writers in my opinion. TinyLetter won't do a bunch of fancy graphics headers and all the bling if you want that sort of thing. But I figure all that just makes a trip to the spam filter more likely. Even if you want to do the fancy stuff, I'd start with TinyLetter and migrate later. MailChimp, you have to learn that system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,637 Posts
Janet Michelson said:
Has this been problematic for anyone? If a person writes book that are controversial or erotic there may be good reason to be more careful, but my readers don't feel compelled to contact me. ::)

It would be a simple matter to create an address just for publishing use if needed.
Yes, I simply meant to use or set up an address that you don't mind being out there for fans to see. I've been a victim of serious stalking before, and it only takes one creep to turn your steady life into a rocky nightmare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
David Alastair Hayden said:
I don't know why writers use MailChimp. Great for marketers but overkill for writers in my opinion.
From the TinyLetter website:

TinyLetter is not designed for businesses to send promotional offers to customers.

I'm a writer, but I'm also a small business owner -- my business is writing books. I use my mailing list for exactly what TinyLetter said it's not designed to be used for -- sending marketing material/promotional offers to customers. I'm not sending emails as personal letters -- I'm sending new release announcements and promotional offers (notifying them when a book has gone on sale).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
From the TinyLetter website:

TinyLetter is not designed for businesses to send promotional offers to customers.

I'm a writer, but I'm also a small business owner -- my business is writing books. I use my mailing list for exactly what TinyLetter said it's not designed to be used for -- sending marketing material/promotional offers to customers. I'm not sending emails as personal letters -- I'm sending new release announcements and promotional offers (notifying them when a book has gone on sale).
I am a writing business as well. That isn't a terms of service limitation.

Their point is one of scale and complexity. When they say businesses, they're thinking subscriber bases measured in 10's and 100's of thousands with varied marketing campaigns, a/b testing, weekly, perhaps daily mailings.

I send promotional mailings via TinyLetter. But they're simple obviously. I've got a new book out, I'm having a sale ... That's pretty much it.

I fiddled with MailChimp and set everything up but it was all overkill. To me. Sure, I could've used it but I like simplicity and a more personal touch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
One thing to bear in mind about MailChimp, is that you're not allowed to include affiliate links within the emails. It's fine to link directly to your Amazon book page, but not by using an Amazon Associates (affiliate program) link.

I'm actually in the middle of writing a guest post for one of the bigger writing blogs on using MailChimp. I'll post a link here when it's published  ;D

MailChimp is one of the easiest mailing list systems to use. As someone said earlier, these days you've got to be really careful about not getting on the wrong side anti-spam laws. Using a third-party provider means they take care of that for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
From the TinyLetter website:

TinyLetter is not designed for businesses to send promotional offers to customers.

I'm a writer, but I'm also a small business owner -- my business is writing books. I use my mailing list for exactly what TinyLetter said it's not designed to be used for -- sending marketing material/promotional offers to customers. I'm not sending emails as personal letters -- I'm sending new release announcements and promotional offers (notifying them when a book has gone on sale).
This is the part of that article that speaks to me:

"That's because TinyLetter's intended audience is tech savvy power users, who have experience running their business email marketing with ESPs, but seek something faster and more elegant to manage their personal brands."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GeniusStartup said:
One thing to bear in mind about MailChimp, is that you're not allowed to include affiliate links within the emails. It's fine to link directly to your Amazon book page, but not by using an Amazon Associates (affiliate program) link.
Whoa. Thanks. I would have used my affiliate links if I hadn't known this! Much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
KayBratt said:
Yes, I simply meant to use or set up an address that you don't mind being out there for fans to see. I've been a victim of serious stalking before, and it only takes one creep to turn your steady life into a rocky nightmare.
Yeah, too late for me :mad: It would take someone about 2 minutes to find my home address online.
Heck, Google will show them a pic of my house
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top