Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have no idea what wine it is.  We were having a wine tasting party at a nephews in Kansas City a few years ago.  They were trying to teach me that all wines are not created equal.  It was almust as hard as teaching me to use the Link Making Tool.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I think it depends on what you're reading. 

With Sue Grafton, it's a crisp Chardonnay, at $6.99 a bottle.

If I'm reading Miss Julia, sparkling white grape juice.

If I'm reading Outlander ... forget it.  No way I can keep up with Claire. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
I have no idea what wine it is. We were having a wine tasting party at a nephews in Kansas City a few years ago. They were trying to teach me that all wines are not created equal. It was almust as hard as teaching me to use the Link Making Tool.
But you've been successful with the Link Making Tool! Congratulations!

The book I'm reading now, they tend to have port or claret after dinner. Too bad I don't like either one. I'll stick with a nice unoaked Chardonnay.

L

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I don't know what goes with what, but this IS, at least currently, my favorite wine. I drink it with almost anything.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Yes, there are wineries in Illinois.  'Bout a year ago, a neat little wine shop opened here in the west suburb of Chicago where I live.  (They're doin' a good business.)  They sell primarily Illinois wines, but from other parts of the world too.  I recently had a bottle of South African wine.  This Double Decker Red is my favorite so far.  Not too sweet, not too dry -- just right!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sandpiper said:
Yes, there are wineries in Illinois. 'Bout a year ago, a neat little wine shop opened here in the west suburb of Chicago where I live. (They're doin' a good business.) They sell primarily Illinois wines, but from other parts of the world too. I recently had a bottle of South African wine. This Double Decker Red is my favorite so far. Not too sweet, not too dry -- just right!
Do they do it like in Indiana? Get the grapes from somewhere else (ie, California) and make the wine in Illinois? Or have they started growing grapes in Illinois? (Somehow I doubt that but I am not going to make any assumptions!)

L

G

·
Leslie said:
Do they do it like in Indiana? Get the grapes from somewhere else (ie, California) and make the wine in Illinois? Or have they started growing grapes in Illinois? (Somehow I doubt that but I am not going to make any assumptions!)

L
Probably concord grapes. They can be grown almost anywhere that gets enough rain.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
I know there is/was a winery near New Harmony Indiana, on the Illinois border. I don't know where they got their grapes though.
I toured a winery in Bloomington, IN. It was started by a prof from IU who had actually written legislation (he was on the law school faculty) that let him open his winery and be open on Sunday. He got his grapes from out of state and made the wine in IN. It wasn't bad. I bought a few bottles to bring home and enjoy.

L

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I think owners of the wine shop said there are a few vintners in Illinois (mostly / all in southern), but more wineries.

Leslie, you've changed your avatar?!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts