Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am prepping for a big yard sale I am having tomorrow and prepared a post with tips on throwing your own for my blog today. In doing my research I found this funny site called Yard Sale Queen and she told sold pretty funny stories... like someone leaning a large glass picture against a rocking chair. Yikes! Yes the inevitable breakage happened!

My favorite happend a few years ago as I was setting up a sale in my front yard. I have a small fence that surrounds a courtyard and the early birds were lined up and waiting. One older gentlemen whips out a pair of binoculars and starts looking at my stuff! I think he was a dealer (I have a lot vintage collectibles and promoted them in my ads). As soon as the sale started he went right to the stuff he had scooped out with no hesitation then he said to me, "What I really want is to see inside your house." I just laughed at him but it was slightly creepy! :eek:

Love to hear some other such stories...!

Oh and if you live in or near Atlanta tomorrow stop by my sale! Free donuts! :D

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone out there must have a story or two?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have only had one yard sale ever...no funny stories but I will say it was ALOT of work...packing boxes...running them down the steps and setting up the tables...then back up the steps for more. I think I lost 20 pounds from running up and down tthe steps...then what didn't sell had to be repacked and lugged up the steps again.
I will say I was surprised at the amount I made...and everything was priced really cheap because I just wanted everything gone.

Wish I lived closer....gotta love free donuts!!! LOL.
Good luck with the sale tomorrow.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I bought a pile of books I thought looked interesting for $5 or so.  One of them
was a big fat coin encyclopedia.  When I got home I looked it up and it was going
for $150 or so on the internet.  I put it on ebay for $100 or so (don't remember
exactly how much) buy it now and it was gone in a couple of days!  I was happy and
so was my wife since we're drowning in books here and it was out of the house. 
It's not quite so bad now we have kindles though since we've really slowed down
adding more DTBs.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I love talking to the people holding yard sales.  Last year I met a woman selling everything in her house, because she'd gotten divorced and decided to move to Greece and start her life over.  And later that day I met this older woman selling all this stuff that seemed like it belonged to a younger person.  I asked her about it and her daughter had died.  She was in her 40's.  But she had some rare disease and wasn't supposed to have lived very long at all, and the woman felt so blessed that she'd lived so long.  I was crying when I left that garage sale.

And I've had shoplifters at my garage sale.  Really?  You're going to steal that 50 cent item?  Once, an older lady just filled up a bag of clothing and left.  I figured she must have needed it and didn't say anything.

I've thought compiling anecdotes like this would make a cool book. 

Good luck with the sale--and watch out for shoplifters!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I had a chair for sale at one of my yard sales.  This was an ugly chair, my brother had passed it on to me.  It swiveled and rocked both, but it was a patchwork design, well...it was just ugly.  Had that thing sitting there with $20 price on it.  No takers all day, and I really wanted to get rid of that chair.  Toward the end of the day, a family came to look, and they had a very, very elderly woman with them.  While they were looking, she sat in the ugly chair.  They were getting ready to leave and she told them how comfy the chair was, she loved the chair.  So I looked at them and said "If you can get that thing in the trunk of your car, it's yours, free."

Happy ending, they wedged that chair into the trunk, tied it down with a rope, all climbed in their car and left.  I was just happy to get rid of the chair :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My mother hosted her German cousin's children while touring the US.  They came to visit.  While we driving around we passed several yard sales.  We heard the young couple whispering about it.  Finally they said something about how bad it must be in the US because people had to sell their belongings.  We grinned and told them about our fine old tradition of yard sales and stopped at a couple sales so they could soak up the ambience. 

My daughter found an amazing set of sterling silver dinnerware.  There were 12 place settings and frankly I have never seen dinnerware with so many different pieces, seafood forks, different spoons, oh my gosh you can't believe it.  She picked it up for $100.  Quite a bargain. 

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That is so funny, Tippy!  I kind of assumed yard sales were a universal things. 

Here's another funny story. I used to be a TV reporter, and my first job was in a small market in Maine.  I met this old photographer the first day I was working and he said, "All I ask is that you leave me an extra ten minutes during the day to stop at yard sales."  So, when we were done shooting our stories, we would stop at yard sales in our news car.  People were always surprised when we walked up, wondering if we were coming to do a story or something.  He was looking for a velvet Elvis painting.  He never found one, at least not while I was there.  But he did pick up a free kitten once that ran around the car all day while we were working. 

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
There was a nice little movie that came out here a year or two ago, called "Secondhand Wedding". It's about a woman who delights in going to garage sales (as we call them) every weekend. Her daughter's getting married, and is terrified that her mother will want to use her garage sale "bargains" in the wedding reception. It all ends well (and involves a huge garage sale :))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts