Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I love talking to the people holding yard sales.  Last year I met a woman selling everything in her house, because she'd gotten divorced and decided to move to Greece and start her life over.  And later that day I met this older woman selling all this stuff that seemed like it belonged to a younger person.  I asked her about it and her daughter had died.  She was in her 40's.  But she had some rare disease and wasn't supposed to have lived very long at all, and the woman felt so blessed that she'd lived so long.  I was crying when I left that garage sale.

And I've had shoplifters at my garage sale.  Really?  You're going to steal that 50 cent item?  Once, an older lady just filled up a bag of clothing and left.  I figured she must have needed it and didn't say anything.

I've thought compiling anecdotes like this would make a cool book. 

Good luck with the sale--and watch out for shoplifters!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That is so funny, Tippy!  I kind of assumed yard sales were a universal things. 

Here's another funny story. I used to be a TV reporter, and my first job was in a small market in Maine.  I met this old photographer the first day I was working and he said, "All I ask is that you leave me an extra ten minutes during the day to stop at yard sales."  So, when we were done shooting our stories, we would stop at yard sales in our news car.  People were always surprised when we walked up, wondering if we were coming to do a story or something.  He was looking for a velvet Elvis painting.  He never found one, at least not while I was there.  But he did pick up a free kitten once that ran around the car all day while we were working. 

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.