Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know why librarians have you put books to be reshelved in a box and not back on the shelf? So that books don't get lost and misplaced.

But today I did a general genre search, both using the search bar at the top and using the hotlinks by category/genre on the left. Both times ended with half the books being EROTICA miscategorized PURPOSEFULLY.

The categories i searched were "dystopian mystery," "dystopian time travel", and even when I saw a new category, "Teen & Young Adult Geography & Cultures US Fiction eBooks". They were saturated with miscategorized books. How is anyone supposed to buy a book, let alone YA, when the "top books" are not in the right category. How is anyone supposed to believe the genre links on the left? Is there no accountability for correct placement?

Does anyone else notice this for their genre and category? Is Amazon working on fixing this?

Additionally, KDSpy also shows that these books are non-sellers. It seems someone has hacked a back door to getting onto Amazon bestseller list without selling books.

Most products on Amazon have a link for consumers complaining about misinformation. " Report incorrect product information." But books do not have this link.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This has been going on for years. And until Amazon customers--readers--start complaining en mass there is a good chance nothing will be done about it.

And there is a "How Would You Rate Your Experience" section on the book pages that allows for feedback.

·
Registered
958 Posts
As Imawriter said, this has been going on for years and has been discussed on this board.

I do not search for books on Amazon anymore. The short reads romance chart has been taken over by erotica authors trying to disguise their books as romances. I am sick of seeing daddy, taboo, one night stand and menage stories in there.

Erotica authors shove their books everywhere. I am surprised they haven't gone for the clean and wholesome category yet. I have seen their books in romantic comedies, womens fiction, sci fi and a few suspect titles in YA. The dark bully romances in YA with guys on the cover who look like 30 year old men is worrying.

Amazon need to clean up their store but to be honest Smashwords is no better. Having the erotica filter is no help.

Customers have to complain. I have reported a couple of books in the past year that were erotica titles, I even remember the authors who were writing erotica before and now write what they think is steamy romance but is really erotica with a little HEA on the end.

I don't get how Amazon cannot see how messed up some of these categories are.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
With the gray area between hot romance and romantic erotica being a bit broad, how much are the specific authors to blame, vs. the nature of romance to be more sexually heated today than it was 20 or 30 years ago?

I remember reading the LookInsides of some top selling romance books even a year or two ago and seeing sex acts maybe 5 to 10 pages into the book. And the books weren't your typical erotica themes. They were more your popular bad boy romances.

·
Registered
958 Posts
This debate about the difference between erotica and romance has been going on and on forever.

The authors I am noticing were erotica authors who wrote taboo stuff and now still write taboo stuff but call it a romance. Some of them were open about it on forums. Example, 'Daddys firefighter bestfriend' (not a real book). Open the book and you will find an older man having a series of sexual scenes with a barely legal teenage girl. The book is focused on the sexual journey and adventures of these characters. 
Some of these authors try to find ways to adjust the title so they don't get flagged on Amazon.

Then you have authors who admit that they don't know the difference between erotica and romance. Then they publish a book with a string of sexual scenes with a HEA on the end and call it a romance. The book is erotica, plain and simple.

The erotica authors pushing their books into every other category is not a mistake. They need visibility and Amazon won't give it to them, so they push their books where they don't belong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I swear two genres in science fiction have disappeared in the past few months.

There used to be genres called 'Space Marine' and 'Space Fleet', and I simply could not find them today. I mean, this list of SF sub genres is weirdly bloated, so I'm not surprised they cut it down. Is this a sign things are changing?

I've been trying to use my keywords to change some of my book's sub-genres, but the process seems very unresponsive. It's hard to tell if you're waiting for Amazon to act on the new keyword, or if they're totally ignoring it. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
There used to be genres called 'Space Marine' and 'Space Fleet', and I simply could not find them today.
I know that at one time someone was trying to trademark "space marine", and possibly "space fleet" was in the same situation. The attempt failed, but it's possible someone got an idiot lawyer and claimed to Amazon there were trademarks. In such a case, Amazon has to immediately stop using any contested term, until shown it was a false claim.

Or maybe it's just a glitch, or Amazon is reorganizing their categories. No way to really know.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Mis-categorizing happened since day one. Until customers complain enough, it will continue. Not us, customers. And no, Amazon doesn't consider us customers.

Things happen to everyone, or some of us, or random people who only just noticed. Those of us who've been around for a while have gotten used to the vagaries of the 'Zon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts