Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and was about to send a PM to Librarian to get listed in the Yellow Page section, but it looks like I need to post a promotional thread first, so here goes:

The service I offer is a combination of beta reading and proofreading with rates starting as low as $50.00. You can read about my services and my rates here: http://scriptland.net/.

I have experience working with authors from a variety of genres including: sci-fi, YA, romance, erotica, and general fiction. I really enjoy YA, but I am open to all genres. I just don't do gore.

You can read testimonials here: http://scriptland.net/testimonials/

Thank you for your consideration. Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions.

P.S. I like mysteries, I just haven't had the chance to work with an author on one yet :)

·
Super Moderator
67,394 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Café, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have one thread and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads will be removed.

Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Also, active members (10 or more posts, active in the last 60 days) may have a listing in the Yellow Pages for Authors.

Ann
KB Moderator

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first started beta reading for pay, many people still considered this something that was done for free.  Therefore, I included proofreading with my service.  I recently read the post by someone on KB considering opening just a beta reading service which many people encouraged him to do and he has, so I'm wondering if perhaps the market has changed. 

The current novel I am working on has turned into an editing job; my rates are not high enough to cover editing. 

So, I've been thinking of changing my price structure and offer a price for only beta reading, one for beta and proofing, and one for beta and editing. 

I'd appreciate input on this idea. 

·
Registered
517 Posts
I just wanted to report that I've worked with Terese from Scriptland and I can really warmly recommend working with her. :)

She is very friendly, professional and thorough all around with the product she offers. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words, Shine.  I enjoyed working with you as well.  :)

I am currently booking slots for April and I look forward to working with more folks from KBoards. 

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had a chance to work with a few more wonderful members of Kboard.  I am currently accepting projects for May. 

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Maybe it's a matter of definition, but for me, yes, a beta reader is someone who reads and gives feedback for free because they love the genre, love to give feedback, etc. Someone who gets paid for the same feedback is IMO an editor. Time and what indies sign up for could certainly change those perceptions, and I admit when some people talk of what they ask beta readers to do I often think anyone willing to agree to that ought to be paid. Then again, they ought to be paid a whole lot more than $50.

Someone proofreading an entire average length novel, assuming they know what they're doing and are careful, ought to be paid a ton more than $50. About a hundred thousand sounds right to me.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
ScriptLand said:
So, I've been thinking of changing my price structure and offer a price for only beta reading, one for beta and proofing, and one for beta and editing.
I like the idea. Beta/proofing seems like a better combo than beta/editing, though. To me, anyway. As for editing I think I'd just want someone laser-focused on the editing itself and not so much the beta'ing ( :) ).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ellenoc said:
About a hundred thousand sounds right to me.
Awesome. Are you hiring? :D

I agree the term is not 100% accurate, but I proofread (pretty close to copy editing) as well as beta (moving closer to content editor) on every project I work on. I am gaining more in-depth experience as I go, and while some people have referred to me as an editor, I don't consider myself one, at least yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts