Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So because my book club's latest book choice wasn't available on the Kindle, I had to buy it from Amazon in its dt form (gasp).  I'm so frustrated with trying to read this damned paper thing while eating my lunch.  Lily (my K1) is very cooperative at lunch, propped up against my planner holder under the light within arm's reach for the next page button push.  I can even wipe off the food or grease from my fingers or spaghetti splatters before I put her away for the rest of the day.

This stupid dtb, however, is a pain in my toosh!  It keeps sliding down from the planner stand and the pages keep flopping around, so I've resorted to using a post-it holder on one side and a large pump-bottle of hand sanitizer on the other side.  And I can't eat more than a bite or two of my salad before I have to put down my fork, wipe off my hands (for fear I grease up the pages, which aren't cleanable), move the pages holders, turn the page, reposition the page holders and find that oh-so-perfect spot against the planner holder again so it doesn't slide down.  I've only read about 20 pages in an hour, during which I could have read 60 had this book been available on my Kindle.  Ugh!

I think I'll boycott any more book club choices that aren't available on my Kindle.  How did I ever get any reading done before Lily came into my life???

·
Registered
460 Posts
I prefer ebook versions as well, but I still buy the odd paperback when the book isn't available in another format. I imagine I won't be buying any DT books eventually, though. :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I think my book club actually plans on DTB since they do not like my kindle.  We don't always read the same books so it is a problem when I read a kindlebook and want to tell them about it  :D and they can't "borrow" it to read  :mad:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Brooke,  Your comment reminds me of Len Edgerly's Kindle DX review on his podcast.  He was complaining that because the "Next page" button was in a different place, it interfered with his breakfast routine (having to put his spoon down to turn the page or something like that).  His wife was teasing him for making a big deal out of it. 

The reason I think all this is funny is because I can totally imagine myself complaining about the same things!  :D

N :)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
I think my book club actually plans on DTB since they do not like my kindle. We don't always read the same books so it is a problem when I read a kindlebook and want to tell them about it :D and they can't "borrow" it to read :mad:
Gasp! :eek: They don't like your Kindle? You need to get your coffeeshop Kindle friends to join your book club!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
One of my book club "friends" travels a lot, I mean a lot, and backpacks all over the world and lugs DTB with her.  She is waiting for other e-readers at a lower price - think she will have a very long wait!

I am very tempted to quit this book club, but like some of the ladies just not the kindle-bashers  :'(

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
Can you imagine the day when the DTBs are in the antique stores? Ok, maybe I have a wild imagination.................
Rasputina said:
Honestly no I don't think that will happen.
Well, yeah, it will. . . .though probably not in our lifetime, or even our kids'. . . . .

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
One of my book club "friends" travels a lot, I mean a lot, and backpacks all over the world and lugs DTB with her. She is waiting for other e-readers at a lower price - think she will have a very long wait!

I am very tempted to quit this book club, but like some of the ladies just not the kindle-bashers :'(
How sad. :( I think maybe they are just jealous of your sombrero-donning Kindle!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I pick up my mom's books sometimes and skim around to see if I want to order the kindle book. Here is a problem I never thought I'd have: she reads hardbacks and when I look at the pages I feel like I'm being overwhelmed by words! I'm used to my kindle showing a small amount of words (I use the next to largest font). I can't concentrate with all those extra words staring me in the face! Not to mention they look positively tiny compared to what I'm used to. And sometimes the white background of her books blind me because I'm used to the grayish screen.

Melissa

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
lol
I cannot imagine going back to DTB's now :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
So....what book is it? I can see if I can "find" it for you. You've got the DTB version, so you've already paid for it, after all. There is a possibility it's been digitized, just not Kindlized.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Neekeebee said:
How sad. :( I think maybe they are just jealous of your sombrero-donning Kindle!

In fact they probably don't even have any sombreros! We switch meeting places each month so I have been in all their houses, you just might be right ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
marianner said:
Everybody does realize that you can buy DTBs in antique stores now, right? ;D
I would surely love to find a fore edged painted book in an antique store or anywhere else for that matter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had this same problem this month!  Our book club book wasn't available in Kindle format, and the other girls won't let me forget it.  They keep teasing me, asking why my "Oh So Great" Kindle doesn't have this book.  It's really starting to get annoying.  The worst part is that this author has another book, and it's available!  Ugh...  This is the first DTB I've read since owning my Kindle.

Danariel- my book is "The Eight" by Katherine Neville is you feel so generous as to help.  I've never downloaded a book that wasn't in Kindle format (I know, shame on me!), and I'm not even sure where to look!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts