Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Wall St Journal it reports that Jeff Bezos said that Kindle owners do no reduce their buying of DTBs (I find that hard to believe), and that Kindle owners buy 1.6 to 1.7 more Kindle books than they buy regular books. The Journal also states that the company has strongly hinted that the Feb 9 meeting will unveil the new Kindle.

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Although I may still buy dtb's, most of them are gifts and not actually for me and I imagine that other K users would say the same thing. 

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've only bought one Dead Tree Book for myself since getting the Kindle, and that was so the author could sign it. However I bought my roomie 3 books for Christmas, so I suppose it could be argued that Kindlers still buy Dead Tree Books at a steady rate.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I buy Dead Tree Books when the title I seek is not available in the Kindle format IF it is an older book.

If it's a new release I wait for the Kindle edition :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, we all know that Amazon has stats out the wazoo on every customer. I guess it must be true.

I know I've only bought one DTB since I got my Kindle, because there are certain nonfiction books that just won't work on a Kindle (like ones on gardening, landscaping, fishkeeping... some of my hobbies).

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think it will be complicated for me. 

There are certain books I am going to buy as a DTB no matter what (such as Ted Dekker's or anything related to Lewis and Tolkien). 

Others I may buy as hard copies if I really like them and want a hard copy just because.  LOL

I may buy others if they are cheaper than the Kindle edition. 

All of this also depends on how much room I have.  Right now, I really don't have room for any more books, but I plan on reading and getting rid of many that I have if I don't think I will ever read them again.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I buy so many more kindle books than I ever bought DTB, prices are better, and they are way much easier to get where I am, so someone else is balancing me out.  I did buy one DTB last year because it was part of a series and the only one not available on kindle, otherwise -  ;D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have rarely, if ever, bought DTBs from Amazon, as I used either 1) used book stores, 2) The Mystery Guild, or 3) an online used book seller.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I have bought several DTB's since Little Gertie arrived, but only two were new books just for me.  I bought a few used from Amazon Marketplace, and just recently bought four new books as gifts.  I also purchase from the school book fairs.  I no longer buy them from the library.

I'm sure I have bought more Kindle Books than I ever bought DTB's from Amazon. 

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Lotus said:
I know I've only bought one DTB since I got my Kindle, because there are certain nonfiction books that just won't work on a Kindle (like ones on gardening, landscaping, fishkeeping... some of my hobbies).
I do not have my Kindle yet but I will probably buy almost as many DTB after it arrives as I did BK (before Kindle). Less than half of these were from Amazon. Most of the books I purchase are nonfiction books related to hobbies (origami, gardening, model railroading, etc.) which is why new features I would be interested in relate to charts, image zoom, font support for other language (such as Japanese), and other non-fiction book needs.

My e-book purchases will most likely be in place of fiction books from the library, used book stores, etc. I will still be buying DTB and gift cards for grandchildren, nieces, and nephews.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I don't see myself buying a DTB until I have kids. Then I will want to have books for the kids. I don't think it is healthy for my Kindle to have a baby sucking on its corners.  And Tavar is not going to have a soft bunny that baby can pet.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I got my Kindle I have not bought any DTBs. I already have all of my old favorites as books (I have a couple thousand books, at least, on massive bookshelves in the basement). I have bought over 100 Kindle books. If these boards are even remotely like the Kindle population, I don't believe that Kindle owners buy that many DTBs.

Steve

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I've only bought 2 DT books since I got my K.  Both of those were reference type books.  That was my plan going in and I've had no problems sticking to it.  

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I, for one, am buying many more books.  But all the new books are for the Kindle.  I still buy little or no DTBs from Amazon.

The Kindle has so greatly increased the amount of reading I am doing that I've purchased more Kindle books in the last two months from Amazon than DTBs in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not bought any DTB's since I received my Kindle. When I got my Kindle I boxed up all of my other books and either gave them away or donated them. My family is so happy not to have books stacked all over the house.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also thought this statement by Jeff Bezos sounded crazy. I've had my Kindle for over a year and ever since I started using it I really don't like to read DTB's. But my wife bought be a couple of them for Christmas and I did read one of them - it's not that bad. ;-) I can only imagine that most of the Kindle owners are really hard-core bibliophiles, and even the 232,000+ titles in the Kindle store is still a paltry sum compared to the number of DTB's that one can buy from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mycroft said:
I can only imagine that most of the Kindle owners are really hard-core bibliophiles, and even the 232,000+ titles in the Kindle store is still a paltry sum compared to the number of DTB's that one can buy from Amazon.
This is especially true of the Christian selection (both fiction and non-fiction).

·
Registered
376 Posts
maybe misinterpreted or taken out of context?  Perhaps he was trying to say Kindle owners buy more books than they did paper.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I was interested in this article, so I located it online. I believe this is the article Steve referenced. Unfortunately, I can only access the entire WSJ article when I pull it up in an "advanced search" under Google restricting the date to today. You can try clicking on the link below, but it may not give you full access unless you subscribe to the online WSJ.

I cut-and-pasted the last two paragraphs in case you can't access the entire article:

"Mr. Bezos said the Kindle was driving incremental book sales. "When people buy a Kindle, they continue to buy the same number of physical books going forward as they did before they owned a Kindle. Incrementally, they buy 1.6 to 1.7 Kindle books for every physical book that they buy."

The company has stoked suspicions that it might release a new version of the Kindle at an event on Feb. 9, to be attended by Mr. Bezos."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123326309581630125.html

1 - 20 of 32 Posts