Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a teen or youth bible (kindle version.) A full complete Bible NOT just certain books out of the bible. Preferrably something Catholic approved.

I found a few things in the kindle store but they were only "once a day teen bible quotes" or "teen bible verses in a year" but not a full Bible in teen or youth version.

Please let me know if anyone knows of anything, or if anyone has a bible that is pretty easy to understand and edited more for todays way of speaking.

Thanks guys! :)

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
To my knowledge, the only specifically Catholic full Bible available for Kindle is the Douay-Rheims.  It is reasonably searchable.  It's the translation used at Mass up until the 60's, I believe.  The copyright of the current 'Mass' version is held by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops and is not available for Kindle.

The Jerusalem Bible might also be on Kindle. . .though it wasn't the last time I checked.  Definitely a 'Catholic' Bible and very readable.  Annotated editions have very good explanations of passages, historical context, etc.  (Just checked, and it's not Kindled yet; but I clicked for it to be!)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Other than the ESV Study Bible, to my knowledge, the only Bibles on Kindle are simply various translations.  I don't believe that Kindle really has any Bibles geared toward one audience or another at this point. 

Sorry.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Yep what Ann said, the only Catholic Bible currently on kindle is the Douay-Rheims. There isn't even a NAB translation on kindle.

Does have good navigation but the translation is not in modern vernacular like you are wanting.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Problem is if she wants a Catholic bible that means she wants the deuterocanonicals and those aren't included on kindle right now except in the Douay-Rheims. Protestant bibles do not contain all the books that Catholic bibles do.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Rasputina said:
Problem is if she wants a Catholic bible that means she wants the deuterocanonicals and those aren't included on kindle right now except in the Douay-Rheims. Protestant bibles do not contain all the books that Catholic bibles do.
Another option would be to download a Protestant Bible and then find a copy of the deuterocanonical books separately.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
koolmnbv, if you see a DTB version that you like on Amazon post it on the " I want this book on Kindle" thread and I'll click for you. They do need to expand the kindle Catholic bible selection anyway. I saw a couple teen Catholic bibles in DTB on Amazon but I haven't read them so I can't recommend.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Ok since we don't have another Catholic thread, I hope no one minds me posting a link to this book. I have it in DTB and really enjoyed it and noticed it's available on kindle now

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I looked around for quite a while last night on amazon and I thought I was missing something but obviously they just don't have alot yet in what I am looking for.

Thanks Ann for clicking for me, and also to Rasputina. I am gonna find something that fits what I am looking for,post it in the click it thread and then just click everyday until they finally give in and kindleize it (hopefully others click as well).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, hopefully they will have something soon. 

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rasputina said:
Ok since we don't have another Catholic thread, I hope no one minds me posting a link to this book. I have it in DTB and really enjoyed it and noticed it's available on kindle now

Thanks for posting this, I just bought it. It sounds great.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think this one fits the requirements that I am looking for. It seems like the teen/youth version that I am looking for but I don't know if it is a complete bible with all the new and old testament books. My head is spinning looking all around amazon for the right one. There are SO many choices. I didn't realize how many different type there were.

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Teen-Bible-Regrets-Promise/dp/0718001648/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245731523&sr=1-8

or this one???

Thank you everyone for any and all help on this.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I hope you enjoy the Catholic Home book.

As far as your links, I haven't seen those in person but I checked out the reviews and noticed that one said the book uses the New King James version. You can read the New King James version translation here and get an idea if it's what you are looking for as far as wording. http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/?action=getVersionInfo&vid=50

Just know that the King James version is a Protestant bible so it won't have the deuterocanonicals in it. The New American Bible translation is one that's very common in Catholic bibles and you can it on the US Conference of Catholic Bishops website http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/

I found a youth NAB translation on Amazon in DTB

I'm not sure how youth oriented you want to go.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rasputina said:
I hope you enjoy the Catholic Home book.

I found a youth NAB translation on Amazon in DTB

I'm not sure how youth oriented you want to go.
YES!!! Thank you that one is PERFECT!

Exactly what I was looking for. I am going to post it in the "click it" thread. Thank you Rasputina for posting it.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rasputina said:
I clicked for you.

Oh and I bought this kindle book today

I like that it has a little topic for each day of the year.
That book looks great. Thanks for posting it.

Quick question, Are the topics just basic inspirational messages for each day, or do the messages deal with specific issues?

Either way I love daily message books and I had a DTB like that one a while ago. I will enjoy and look forward to my daily reading. I sampled this one and I can see a daily topic in my near future :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
They seem to be associated with the liturgical calendar. IE yesterdays was about St John the Baptist since it was the solemnity for him and the tie in being about how different he was as a person and how we should should appreciate each others differences. Something like that, I just woke up and I'm trying to paraphrase LOL. I like that there is a scripture passage, and then an explanation about how the topic relates to our own lives and then there is an affirmation.

I always try to do these daily reading things and then I forget, I did have a sub to Magnificat but I didn't keep up with the readings. So I thought at least this one I can read on my K so I get a reminder every time I turn it on.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a really good idea Rasputina and that book sounds great.

I really like how you said it has the scripture passage and then it relates the passage to modern times while adding a message. I like when a larger general bible message gets discussed in a modern way. It makes it more relatable (for me anyway).

I will definitely be buying this book for my K

1 - 20 of 20 Posts