Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you remember the movie made in the 1980s, Somewhere In Time starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour?  I absolutely adored that movie.  It's the most romantic movie in the world and they were perfect in it to me.  I watch it often.  Anyway, it was based on the book Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson.  A year or so ago I bought this book for my daughter because she loves the movie too.  So, fast forward to now and I have just spent about 10 days in the hospital and I had no books with me and I was a good distance away from home and not too far from where she lives so I asked her to bring me the book so I could read it.  At first I really did not like it.  There are so many ways the book and movie are different and at first, I really had a hard time with this.  But then a magical thing happened, I started loving the way the book's details unfolded throughout.  These are what some of the differences are and I'll try not to give away anything important:  The main male character has a serious illness, not just disillusionment with his career.  The main female character's mother is also in the story.  It takes place in California, not in the Midwest.  There's no Aurthor.  And there's many, many more small details that are different and the ending is certainly different.  I have to say, I do believe I love the story of the book better.  If you've not read the book, please do so, it's good!  Watch the movie, read the book, if you are a romantic!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually was lucky enough to catch this on HBO just a couple of days ago. Recorded it and watched it with my wife who had never seen it. It really is one of the most romantic movies in existence; all the more so when you add Rachmaninoff's beautiful Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (13th variation).

I haven't read the book, but I certainly intend to.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I had the honor of writing lyrics to a stage version that was never produced. Side note, I eventually married Matheson's goddaughter. The wonder of Richard's story is that it is far more moving the second time you read it or watch the movie than the first. It's a cult favorite. A musical version was eventually produced by failed in San Diego, if memory serves.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies so far.  I was very, very sleepy when I wrote my post last night and forgot to even say what the movie/book was even ABOUT!  lol!  It's about a man, disillusioned with life (movie), was ill (book) so he took a trip to just anywhere and wound up at a very nice, very old hotel and stayed there.  He looked around and in the Hall of History saw a picture of a very famous, very beautiful actress of the stage who had performed there in 1896.  He fell in love with her through this picture.  He begins to research about her and her life in anything he could find through books and by sheer will and love, finds a way to be with her.  The rest is for you to find out!!  A very romantic book.  I highly recommend both the book and movie.  I have both in my collection.

·
Registered
60 Posts
jmiked said:
I liked the movie, liked the book more.

If you liked this book, you should try Jack Finney's Time and Again. Similar themes. And as usual, not on Kindle. :'(

Mike
Love Finney's work. If you haven't already, you should read Invasion of the Body Snatchers - very different from the movie.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This one IS available in the Kindle store, but it's not under the original title. Look for it as SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

And the rest of Matheson's work is well worth a look -- don't skip the short stories, either; a number of them were adapted for television, generally by Matheson himself, and were some of the best of the original Twilight Zone episodes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I might add, that being a Jane Seymour fan, that she was at her most beautiful of her career in this movie, and that is saying something.  The same can be said for Christopher Reeve.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I see that Matheson's The Legend of Hell House is being shown on FMC (Fox Movie Channel?) channel next week (the 25th). Well worth a look for horror and Matheson fans. Matheson wrote the screen play, adapting his own novel. It's remarkably faithful to the book (which I just reread a month or so back). ;D

Mike

·
Registered
300 Posts
jmiked said:
I liked the movie, liked the book more.

If you liked this book, you should try Jack Finney's Time and Again. Similar themes. And as usual, not on Kindle. :'(

Mike
In my opinion, Finney's book, "Time and Again" is the better of the two books. I liked Mathieson's book, but Finney's book was pretty amazing -- you became caught up in the whole time travel concept. Here is how it was described in a Wikipedia article:

"Finney's greatest success came with his science fiction novel Time and Again (1970). Its protagonist, Simon Morley, is working in advertising in New York City when he is recruited for a secret government project trying to achieve time travel. Instead of using a physical machine, the participants steep themselves in the history and culture of a particular time and place, then travel there through hypnosis or self-hypnosis. Morley travels to the New York City of 1882. The novel is notable for Finney's vivid and detailed picture of life in the city at that time. Morley sees many actual historical sites, some now gone (e.g., the post office that, until 1939, stood in what is now the southern tip of City Hall Park) and some still existing (e.g., St. Patrick's Cathedral, then the tallest building in its Fifth Avenue neighborhood). In 1987, Finney was given the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement at the World Fantasy Convention, held in Nashville, Tennessee.[2]"

Finney also wrote a sequel to "Time and Again" called "Time to Time." Also good.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As with Matheson, so with Finney -- don't skip the short stories.  Scrounge up THE THIRD LEVEL and I LOVE GALESBURG IN THE SPRINGTIME.  Wonderful books, and both out of print but well worth looking for.  A lot of the stories from these are included in ABOUT TIME, which is in print.  Unfortunately, none of Finney's work is available for Kindle, but it's all worth not only your $$$ but the physical shelf space.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Richard sent a cfopy to Jack Finney with a note, because his novel was inspired by Jack's story. They were friends. Matheson's "I Am Legend" is a horror classic, his track record was just amazing. Those guys were masters.

PS Incidentally, King has many times said that Richard Matheson was his inspiration

·
Registered
300 Posts
Harry Shannon said:
Incidentally, King has many times said that Richard Matheson was his inspiration
I think I read on this site several months ago that King is writing a time-travel story about the JKF assassination. Does anyone know how that is progressing?

·
Registered
482 Posts
This movie came out when I was quite young and my mom really *dug* (geez) Christopher Reeve so we saw it in the theaters and I was an instant fan! I haven't seen it in some time but would definitely watch it again! I never knew the title of the book but would love to read it. Thanks so much for providing it. I am a romantic, but only for a certain "flavor!" ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.