Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you nice people.

In another thread, Leslie advised me to break up my big books into smaller books. Her irrefutable logic is that no traditional publisher will even look at a book that has more than 100,000 words. Mine have about quarter of a million words in each.

Leslie is absolutely right about traditional publishing. Big books cost more to print and they take up the shelf space of two or three normal books. In fact, big books almost disappeared when they started putting books in carousels at the grocery store. I’m hoping that mobile reading devices and Print on Demand will change that.

So please tell me folks, what about you Kindle readers? Is there a big resistance to big books, or are there still readers out there that enjoy a long journey like James Clavell's Shōgun or The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
364 Posts
For big book, I think a kindle version is better then a paper verison, you don't have the to worry about how much it weight, can stand lift, let alone read a heavy book, my arms hurt within a few mintues. I more willing to buy heavy big book on kindle then paper

good luck with your books

Jodi

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jeff,

If a book is well written and I get into the story, I can read a million pages. I have nothing against big books, in fact, some of my favorite things to read were long. I remember being immersed for days in Gone With the Wind.

Don't get me started on modern publishing practices! (Well, get me started if you want. We can rant away.) My comment to you was what I have heard from a number of agents and publishers. Books today are priced by the page. A book of X words sells for X and a book of Y words sell for Y. If you are a new, unknown author, an agent won't even read your letter if it says the book is longer than 100,000 words. Stupid, but true.

I do agree, I think ebook publishing has the potential to revolutionize publishing. And I hope it does because the industry needs it and the time is ripe for change.

L

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Leslie,

In no way do I disagree with you. I know for a fact that publishers, agents and the like won’t look at big book because I’ve been writing them for over 30 years and have yet to get one published. But I write for the same reason that I read - it takes me somewhere else and I like to be somewhere else for as long as I can be.

My main reason in posting the question was that I’m old and out of touch so I just and wondered if today’s readers were at all interested in long books. I saw very few in the thread about favorite books.

JH

·
Registered
364 Posts
I *love* big books, if they're written well and I can escape into them. And they're so much easier to read on the Kindle...

Think the OUTLANDER series, most of Stephen King's books, Ken Follett's books, the Harry Potter series, etc.

In fact, some of those big books that I haven't read yet, I'm thinking about buying in Kindle version and passing along the print copies. (Not the OUTLANDER series, though.<G> I have it in Kindle, but am not letting go of my print copies.)

Sharyn

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, Sharyn.

Diana Gabaldon's been very successful with her hard-covers but her paperback sales drop off sharply because of the physical size of her books. That's not her fault, her publisher's fault or her readers’ faults. The distributors only have limited space in their book racks. The worst part of that is that many readers who can't, or won't, spend the money for a hard-cover, never see Diana's books. The Kindle can fix that.

JH

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
One of the main reasons I love my kindle so much is for the ease of reading big books that were a deterrent due to their size before.  Pillars of the Earth is the perfect example.  I absolutely love a big book when it's something I'm really enjoying and don't want to end, especially on the kindle.  There are a lot of valid points though, I'd be really skeptical to pick one up from an unknown reader, or at least without really good reviews and/or recommendations.  It's intimidating to pick up a 900 page book you know nothing about.   
I'd LOVE to see a kindle version of the Fountainhead, I've looked everywhere and can't find it.  I've never read Harry Potter (I know, I know) partly because of the size of them.  There's another one I'd read in a heartbeat if it were available on the kindle.  From what I've heard about Rowlings perspective on e-books though that will never happen. 
I don't know if that helps you or not, but there's my two cents! 

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To those of you who've said you'd be reluctant to read a big book by an unknown author I ask why? With Kindle you can preview 100 pages of a thousand page book at no cost.

Next question: as an unknown author who dosen't want to write small books, what can I do to intice you to read my books?

I've offered the first volume of my newest book free:

http://www.eliscopublishing.com/KindleBoards/The_Treasure_of_La_Malinche_Vol_1.prc

The only catch is you can't get it via Amazon Whispernet. You have to download it to your computer and upload it to your Kindle via USB.

Read more about The Treasure of La Malinche here:

http://www.eliscopublishing.com/treasure_of_la_malinche.asp

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love big books, the bigger the better because I get so engrossed in the story I just don't want it to end. I would love to sample your book when I actually get my kindle, or can it be sampled online?
Lisa

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
This is an interesting conversation, Jeff.

I think one thing for me: I don't have as much time to read these days as I did when I was younger. So if I "commit" to a big book, that may be the only thing I get to read for the next few weeks/months. Reading shorter books gives me a bit more variety.

I have Pillars of the Earth on my Kindle but haven't read it yet.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
FWIW, when downloading Jeff's book, I downloaded it to the computer and then sent it to my Kindle using my Kindle e-mail address.  Worked like a charm and I didn't have to find the usb connector. :)  And, I have a back up copy on my computer, which is a good idea with any non-Amazon books in case the worst happens. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
That's a good point Jeff - with being able to download a sample you do have the choice to see if you like it before purchasing.  I think offering the first volume for free is smart (and thank you, by the way!) to start with.  I think my main deterrent of unknown authors in general at the moment is that there is SOOO much that I want to read - it's hard to pick up something unknown at that point.  Not to say that I wouldn't at some point.  
Plus I agree a lot with Leslie - I don't have as much time to read as I'd like, and knowing I'm getting into something huge is a bit overwhelming.  It took me a couple of months to read Pillars (granted I was moving and starting to plan a wedding) but that's a real commitment when reading time is so precious.  In that case though it was worth it!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Oh man I absolutely love big books...bigger the better.  For me I feel like I can really connect and learn everything about the characters (maybe that's why most of my favorite books turn out to be series...huh, never thought about that before).  I think one of the best feeling in the world is digging into an awesome big book where when you get to the end, you get totally bummed out.  I didn't really feel it for 'Pillars of the Earth' (read it for a special extra credit assignment for one of my history classes in high school), but I don't remember it being that long...but it could be my second hand paperback copy.  My personal ong book favs are 'Lord of the Rings' (all in one book as it was meant to be), 'Les Miserables', 'The Stand', and on the borderline of being long...'Lonesome Dove' and 'The Three Musketeers' (both the singular book and the continuing series).

I also have the fun classics Jules Vern, Robert Louis Stevenson, Jane Austen, H.G. Wells, and Jack London (hardcover omnibuses you can get for a cheap price at Barnes & Noble) all waiting in the wings.

I only wish I had some more money and less of my dad's view about money.  I just can't justify re-buying them just for my Kindle...it would be nice.

Tris

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm going to be the contrarian from the majority. I'm a book price shopper. I was at Border's today. They had a table marked buy 1 get one 1/2 price. These were assorted paperbacks and none were under $12.99 so it would have been $20 or more to get 2 of them. Even "normal" paperbacks of the page size typical for the last 20 years are now $7.99 or more. Now I see a lot of new paperbacks that are about an inch taller than usual and a couple dollars higher price. Anyway, since price and page count seem to often have a correlation I'd say a huge book prices itself out of consideration. I wouldn't buy a small dictionary sized book for $27.95 but if the cover and synopsis are very appealing and interesting I might pay $9.95 for the first of a trilogy and if I like it go back for the other 2.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts