Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow morning, my oldest daughter graduates from her acting academy. My wife was reminding me about a blog I posted on June 29, 2007... when she graduated from high school. Didn't that just happen? Now that she's completed her 4 semesters in the academy, I'm having some of those same thoughts this week...

"Big day"

June 29, 2007

It's a common sight every June. Auditoriums, gymnasiums, city centers, and hockey arenas everywhere fill up for countless cap-and-gown ceremonies.

I don't think much about it. Even my own graduation didn't leave a particularly strong impression with me.

But last night, I see my little girl walk alone down the runway. Eyes shining, diploma in hand. Amidst the frenzy of my shutter, I hear the proud applause, the cheering of her classmates.

And I know I'm witness to a cleaving. With every step, her high school life - her life with us - retreats ever so slightly behind her.

I think briefly of all those steps, from her very first uncertain ones, to today. She embraces her teary Mom. In a moment, her little sisters run up to give her congratulatory hugs.

While she leaves high school with awards and accolades, I'm most thankful for less showy things. Her kindness to people and animals. How she calls me "Papa". Her beautiful smile, and loud laugh. The respect she shows me and her mother. Her ability to make jokes at her own expense. The way she charts her life, unapologetically and head-on. I describe her as fearless, but I know that's not true. She does have courage, and determination well beyond her years.

So now she has graduated. I will never hear the horns of "Pomp and Circumstance" in the same way; it's burned into the soundtrack of my life's memories.

In a few weeks, she'll be off for the big city. More "big girl" steps. Moving her into her dorm. Watching as she meets the new people entering her life. Driving away.

Sometimes life comes at you gently and lazily. Other times, like this week, it leaps at you and pulls you hungrily into new places.

Congratulations, Celeste. May you always walk with angels overhead.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Oh, Harvey, please put a "Have Kleenex Handy" warning next time you post something like that. 

Congratulations to you and your family.  These days, it's a big thing to steer a child successfully through high school and beyond.  Too many stories about drop-outs and not enough stories about the good kids who make it (in my opinion, the majority). 

Thanks for a nice start to my day. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
So that's why you are in California. Congratulations!

Give Celeste a special hello from me. Back in the days of "the party" when you were AWOL, Harvey (the end of October) I sent her a PM asking her if she knew you. She wrote right back. Although she didn't say you were her father, she did say she knew you were busy and would get in touch. Thus, Celeste played a small, but very important role in the rebirth of the Kindleboards. Tell her thank you for me!

L

·
Registered
455 Posts
Aw, congrats to Celeste from me, Harvey, and congrats to you and your wife for raising a wonderful girl. If we do half as well as it sounds like you have, we'll be happy!

And I'm with Gertie, add a kleenex needed warning to your post! :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I need a tissue.  :'(

Congratulations Harvey. I understand. It seems like last month my daughter graduated from 5th grade, then last week she graduated from high school. Tomorrow my husband and I have to go move her back home from college. This spring she will be interning at a local radio station, then in May she graduates from college and gets married 3 weeks later.

They grow up way too fast.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
tlshaw said:
They grow up way too fast.
They sure do.

Although I have this vivid memory of Christmas Eve when my children were 1 and 4, I was trying to cook, the house was a mess and I really wondered if I would survive until the oldest was 18. But everything else seems like it went by in a blur.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Today is yesterday's tomorrow!!! Congrats to Celeste on her graduation :)))

I was a bundle of nerves the day DD graduated from Preschool. I'll be a bundle of nerves when she graduates in two years from grade school....haven't had to cross any other bridges yet though I was a mess when she made her 1st Communion ;-p Oh wait, I was a mess before that when we had her pictures taken and she looked like a little bride...I'll be a wreck when she gets married :p

Have a wonderful day of celebrating!

·
Registered
102 Posts
That was a beautiful post Harvey.  Congrats to Celeste and your family.

My oldest graduated from high school this past summer and went far away to school this fall.  We have our Kindles in common, though.

Susan

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
That was absolutely beautiful Harvey. Yes you definitely need to post a warning to have Kleenex in hand.  :'( Congratulations to Celeste and the family.

Thanks for sharing,
Linda

1 - 17 of 17 Posts