Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as you know the saying goes, "If you can't beat 'em, you may as well join 'em."

I just Googled "$2.99 ebooks" and came up with articles about Tor and Hyperion (Disney's book division) running promotions of $2.99 ebooks. I think they realize that this is the price point that can move a steady stream of ebooks.

It'll be interesting to see if more jump on the band wagon.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
They're temporary sales, and they've happened off an on for at least a couple of years. They have sales at other prices, too. I don't see them embracing $2.99 anytime soon.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Tor UK is now accepting unagented submissions as well, including ones that have been previously self-published. It appears there are some companies who are starting to step into the brave new world of online publishing.

G

·
shelleyo1 said:
They're temporary sales, and they've happened off an on for at least a couple of years. They have sales at other prices, too. I don't see them embracing $2.99 anytime soon.
Now Shelley, don't destroy the illusion that indies are destroying trade publishing. You will hurt people's feelings. ;D

But, yeah, big companies run sales all the time. it's like when I go into the grocery store and see Kellogg's cereals on sale for $1.99 a box. It's a SALE. It doesn't mean Kellogg's has suddenly adopted the price strategy of the store brands. It means it is a sale (and if I have a coupon to boot, a really good one ;D)

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Now Shelley, don't destroy the illusion that indies are destroying trade publishing. You will hurt people's feelings. ;D

But, yeah, big companies run sales all the time. it's like when I go into the grocery store and see Kellogg's cereals on sale for $1.99 a box. It's a SALE. It doesn't mean Kellogg's has suddenly adopted the price strategy of the store brands. It means it is a sale (and if I have a coupon to boot, a really good one ;D)
That is really surprising. I had no idea Sith witches would eat Kellog's cereals or use coupons. What a way to ruin an illusion. :eek:

G

·
LisaGraceBooks said:
That is really surprising. I had no idea Sith witches would eat Kellog's cereals or use coupons. What a way to ruin an illusion. :eek:
;D ;D ;D

Have you TRIED the Special K Chocolately Delight? 100% Sith Approved!

·
Registered
993 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:
Tor UK is now accepting unagented submissions as well, including ones that have been previously self-published. It appears there are some companies who are starting to step into the brave new world of online publishing.
Tor in the US has always accepted unagented submissions, so has Penguin. They were the last two. Not sure if Penguin still does after the merger.

Interesting fact... Every year, around NaNoWriMo, Tor hires multiple interns as "Slush Killers", and their only job is to wade through mountains of unsolicited submissions and find a reason to reject them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:
Yep, and they're accepting multiple submissions as well. Against the norm, to say the least. Someone in charge over there is a contemporary thinker.

http://torbooks.co.uk/2013/01/29/submitting-a-novel-to-tor-uk/
Hydra (Random House/US) is doing this too (previously self-pubbed or unagented) submissions. I submitted in November for Girl and the Guitar and within a month I got a very kind...rejection. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts