Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love biographies.. have not read any yet, so if you want to navigate and guide me to some good biography books please do so. I am open to all suggestions!

thank you!

·
Registered
599 Posts
This is my absolute favorite--Anthony Rapp's memoir. It's funny at times and sad at times, always full of emotion and wonder--Rapp's sexuality, his mother's cancer, Johnathan Larson and the other brilliant minds involved in the creation and production of RENT. I was already a RENThead before I read it, but you don't have to be a fan of RENT to enjoy this book. I highly recommend it. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't had my Kindle very long so I've only had time for a few biographies.  "Last Lion" (about Edward Kennedy) by Peter S. Canellos.  "The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren" by Jonathan Lopez.  "Gifted Hands" by Ben Carson.  "The Last Campaign: Robert F. Kennedy and 82 Days That Inspired America" by Thurston Clarke.  "The Soloist" by Steve Lopez.

I could recommend a truckload of biographies I read pre-Kindle but I will limit myself to three favorites which are outstanding and which are now available in Kindle editions: "Truman", "John Adams", and "Brave Companions" (a collection of short biographies), all by David McCullough. 

·
Registered
597 Posts
Rather than biographies of famous people, I tend read to biographies of ordinary people who've lived interesting lives or have overcome adversity. Here are two that really stood out when I read them.

This is one of those stories that not only makes you admire the subject (and wish that she were your mother), but also does a great job of conveying what life was like in the Midwest in the 1950s.

This one just makes you marvel at the resilience of some children. The circumstances that the author grew up in sound pretty awful, yet she recounts it all matter-of-factly with no self-pity and didn't let it ruin her life.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts

I also recommend The Glass Castle that was previously posted. Infidel was a good book and one that will remain with you. Difficult at times but I feel all American women need to read it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
How does a "teen idol" and one of the biggest television stars of the '80s turn into an evangelical crusader?

After reading about Kirk Cameron in The Unlikely Disciple, I wanted to find out more...

Still Growing: An Autobiography
By Kirk Cameron

Just don't expect any sleazy Hollywood gossip (or much of anything about his famous co-star, Leonardo DiCaprio, who is summed up in a sentence or two at most).

What you do get is a fairly pleasant, fun, light read - especially if you're a fan of the '80s and Kirk's sitcom Growing Pains.

Just skip the unfortunate appendix at the back of the book. There, Kirk basically compares Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism to jumping out of a plane without a parachute. It's ridiculous and offensive.

The rest of the book does deal with his religious conversion and beliefs, but they're dealt with tastefully and tactfully. You as a reader can experience, understand, and relate to his journey - whether you share the same belief system or not. It's a shame that the awful appendix section undermines all of the goodwill Kirk has built up with the reader throughout the rest of the book. Luckily, the appendix is only ten or so pages and completely separate from the actual autobiographical portion of the book.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Haven't read this one yet, she's on a book tour for it, was on Good Morning America this morning. She's one of my favorite actresses. (Marlee Matlin, the actress who is deaf, was recently on Dancing with the Stars and won an Oscar first time out.) Unfortunately, it's $14.30 now, so I'll wait. I've got it on PriceDrop tracker.

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I'm currently reading Team of Rivals, one of the first books I bought for my Kindle.

The next bio I'm going to read is this one, currently a real bargain at $2.87 (I bought it for a whopping $2.91 ;D)

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
While rummaging on the best seller list, I came across this:

Merv Griffin? Gay? Who knew! Unfortunately, the book doesn't have a Kindle counterpart, yet. I would be curious to read this if it does come out on the Kindle.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Interesting, the author, Darwin Porter, is the author of other unauthorized biographies AND many, many Frommer's Travel Guides.  And yes, it apparently IS the same person.

I klicked "I want this book on Kindle" because I think it would be a good read!  None of his other bios (and there are 13, apparently, appear to be available on Kindle.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Any tennis fans here? I think this must count as a biography:

A Terrible Splendor: Three Extraordinary Men, a World Poised for War, and the Greatest Tennis Match Ever Played. It is getting great early reviews and it fits in with my current reading obsession of books circa World Wars I and II. I have the sample on my Kindle!

L

·
Registered
123 Posts
OOhhh Gordon Ramsey, I had to get that one! ;D

This one is next on the list TBR for me.

The Story of a Soul - Therese of Lisieux
--added klickable link. Betsy

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Only two so far:

John Adams by David McCullough and
A. Lincoln as geko29 posted above. (Sorry, LinkMaker not working for me!)

Adams was excellent, but didn't include the pictures.
A. Lincoln's formatting is a little off here and there, but the pictures are interspersed with the text, which is quite nice! Most DTBs don't even do that!

N :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts