Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that both Stokes birding guide (for the eastern region) and Roger Tory Peterson's guide (for the western region) are available for the kindle now. Has anyone tried them and, if so, do they work pretty well in this format? It would be fabulous to just go hiking with my kindle and not bother carrying any identification books along with me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Haven't seen either but may sample.  Black and White would not work for me trying to identify birds.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Have to reinforce what I learned yesterday. This time I did the link making tool first got my final link, then opened a reply box and pasted. VOILA

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I'm not really a bird watcher, but my little town seems to be full of fascinating tropical varieties. 

My favorites are a family of four, two males and two females.  They are nearly as tall as I am and look like some kind of heron or crane with gray bodies.  The males have a patch (not a crest) of red feathers on top of their heads.  They are even more maginificent when they fly.

I was at my grandson's school a few weeks ago, and the four birds were outside the front door.  They didn't mind all the people walking past them ... although some of the people moved very cautiously to get to the door.  It was quite a sight.

Must get some books on tropical birds. 

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Dori said:
Have to reinforce what I learned yesterday. This time I did the link making tool first got my final link, then opened a reply box and pasted. VOILA
Go, Dori, Go!

Betsy

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's a good idea for overall giz of a bird and habitat I-Ds but I'm not sure how successful it would be for newer birdwatchers.  Although, even the colored guides aren't always spot on with color variations of a bird in different seasonal  plumage.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
KCFoggin said:
It's a good idea for overall giz of a bird and habitat I-Ds but I'm not sure how successful it would be for newer birdwatchers. Although, even the colored guides aren't always spot on with color variations of a bird in different seasonal plumage.
What she said.

Seriously, I've been birding for a couple years, and have nothing near the experience KC has, but there is definitely information in field guides that is NOT color dependent that would be useful. However, I don't see a need to replace my field guide with the Kindle, easier to flip around between multiple pages than on the Kindle. I would like something like Pete Dunne's Essential Field Guide Companion on my Kindle. There are many bookings about birding that are great reads that would be fun to have on the Kindle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
What he said.
What "he" said?

LOL! Hmmmm... guess I changed sexes overnight huh? ;D

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been a birder almost all my life, and I can't imagine using a guide that does not have colour pictures. There are so many subtleties among species of birds that grayscale just cannot do justice to!

As for you, gertiekindle, I don't know where you live, but if you are in Florida or Texas, and the birds are very large (about 4 feet tall), then they are probably sandhill cranes. My parents lived in Hobe Sound, FL for many years, and they had a group of sandhills that used to come through the neighbourhood every day, walking from yard to yard as if they were shopping for real estate. If they felt threatened in any way, they let out one heck of a loud shrieking call!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Khabita said:
As for you, gertiekindle, I don't know where you live, but if you are in Florida or Texas, and the birds are very large (about 4 feet tall), then they are probably sandhill cranes. My parents lived in Hobe Sound, FL for many years, and they had a group of sandhills that used to come through the neighbourhood every day, walking from yard to yard as if they were shopping for real estate. If they felt threatened in any way, they let out one heck of a loud shrieking call!
Khabita, I missed your response until now, but thank you for identifying the birds for me. Yes, they are Florida Sandhill Cranes. I'm not very far from Hobe Sound. We have such a wonderful variety of birds here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts