Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,821 Posts
We've been putting out bird seeds for a couple of years now.  Every year, we get a pair of mourning doves that hang out and feed on birdseed we leave in the planters.  They are very calm and quite cute.  Even the squirrels don't faze them.  Yesterday, Hubby grabbed the zoom lens and took pix of one of the doves sleeping while perched on the edge of the planter. 

We also get these brown birds with long tails (towhees?  cowbirds?) who love to take bird baths.  I leave out a simple shallow dish and they splash water everywhere.  It's a lot of fun to watch.

This year, for the first time, we are getting loads of finches to hang out as well.  Not sure why they never discovered the stash before.

Hubby is installing the humming bird feeder as I type.  I've been watching the hummer visit a couple of times a day to check out what the fuss is about...he always gravitates toward the red patio umbrella, then takes off again.

We used to get a pair of blue scrub jays too.  Then they brought their baby--all downy feathers;his name was "Baby Blue"--and he learned to sit outside the patio door and peer in until he got his peanuts.  One day last Sept., they all stopped coming, and I haven't seen any scrub jays in the neighborhood since.  :(

N :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.