Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Kindle for about a month now & decided that I would Kindle my wife on her birthday. She is one of those frugal people, though, so I have had some trepidation about my choice. But we were at a get-together with relatives last night, one of whose wives had a Kindle. My wife was interested and asked several questions about how she liked it, so I am feeling very optimistic about it. I wanted very much to give her something she would enjoy and am really looking forward to giving it to her.

I also got her a nice Oberon cover and the Might Brite light for it.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I understand your position. I have done the same thing, except it is to be a wedding anniversary present. I hope she enjoys it as muchas I do mine. Good luck to you, it really is a great idea.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Oh, great gift. You really went all out with the Oberon and Mighty-Brite as well - - very thoughtful!

Do you like reading the same books? My wife and I have found it's great to have our Kindles tied to the same Amazon account.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
It sounds as if you will be giving her something that she'll enjoy a lot. The cover and light are nice touches, too. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to find the perfect gift for someone? I love the anticipation leading up to the moment of actually watching that special person open his/her gift. 

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Harvey said:
Do you like reading the same books? My wife and I have found it's great to have our Kindles tied to the same Amazon account.
Yeah, that's a great idea Harvey. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Harvey is right, using the some account means you don't have to buy the books twice, that may appeal to her frugal side.  Also tell her about all the freebies, and bargain books that are posted here regularly.  Then take her to amazon do a search for books in the kindle store, then arange it pricewise, lowest to highest.  After she has seen that, then do the same search but type -domain into the search box, that takes out all of the public domain books, which should be free anyway, and you will still be left with pages and pages of free and cheep books.  After she has digested that, take her over to feedbooks.com, and explain to her that EVERY book on the websight is not only free, but can be downloaded wirelessly just like at Amazon. If all of that doesn't appeal to her frugal side, I don't know what will.  Hope she loves kindle as much as we all do.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
What a nice guy you are. 
deb

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
What a wonderful gift! Which Oberon did you get her?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
jimp how neat to give a gift that keeps on giving!

Get her on kindleboards, her own KB account, particularly so we can all wish her a happy birthday, after the fact of course don't want to ruin the surprise!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
As another poster said, sharing an Amazon account might very well appeal to her frugal side. My daughter and I share her account, which works out great because we love to read many of the same books. If we can ever get my other daughter a Kindle, I'm sure she'll share the account, too.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
It's the perfect gift for a reader, especially a frugal one! I got one for the Spouse Thingy for his and he was thrilled. When's her birthday? I hope she's as excited as he was!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For Harvey & the rest, yes, I have Brenda's Kindle on my account so we can share books. We do have different tastes, but I have come across books I think we'll both like. As to the Oberon, I forget what its called, but I got the one that is a creek scene that wraps around the cover front to back. It reminds me of a creek on our farm.

I appreciate all the comments and have found Kindleboards to be a really nice community of folks.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Jim, let us know when she gets her Kindle, as well as her reaction. I, for one, was speechless when my daughters and husband gave me mine for Mother's Day. (The only other thing that I've really been speechless about was the Grand Canyon.)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
What a thoughtful gift, Jimp! I bet you're looking forward to watching her open that box! ;D It's always hard to wait when you know you've gotten somebody something good. Hubby and I just celebrated our anniversary, and for days beforehand, he kept asking me if I wanted to open my gift early!

We look forward to meeting Mrs. Jimp1947 on KB soon!

N :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Neekeebee, you're so right about the anticipation that comes with giving someone a gift that you know they'll love. It's just so hard to wait!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the deed is done! And I have to admit that my motivation was somewhat selfish. I wanted to give my beloved something that I have really enjoyed myself. Now I'm going to have to wait to see if she becomes as enamored of the beast as I am. She was very flattered that I spent so much on her birthday, but remained unconvinced that she would use it as much as I assured her she would ("You know I don't buy that many books"). I assured her that she would come around and reiterated our ability to share books through my Amazon account.

I am optimistic that her ardor for Braveheart will be kindled in time, as was mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts