Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do?

I went to download a (one.  single.  lone.  solitary.) book to my mom's kindle last night, and it downloaded my entire library.  So everything I have on my kindle, she now also has on hers.  Which is think is really weird, b/c I only clicked to transfer one book (Why We Suck by Dr. Denis Leary, if anyone's interested).

Any ideas on why it did that?  I sent it from the "Manage My Kindle" page.  I'm a little at a loss.  She was excited b/c there's now seven pages of stuff for her to read (and frankly, it's seven pages of stuff she's not going to like very much), but I'm a little concerned that if it downloaded everything, it might start synching everything to her last read page too.  And that would be bad.

Also, now that it's on her kindle, is there anything I can do to remove it?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I share my Kindle with my brother and we've not had this problem.... I pushed a couple of books to his Kindle that I bought specifically for him.

I believe you have to delete them now from the Kindle they're on. Does she live near you?

Betsy

and here's the link to Denis Leary's book, for anyone who's interested.

$9.99

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She does live near me.  But I thought it was weird that I hadn't had this problem before.  I bought a book specifically for her kindle on Saturday, and it showed up just fine (and just on hers, not on mine too), then everything showed up when I tried to push a specific book to her yesterday.  Hmmm.  I wonder what's going to happen if I send the book to myself that I got for her this weekend.  Or if there was a temporary gremlin in the whispernet system.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, there's a distinct possibility.  All the Sookie books are on there.  She doesn't know about Eric yet.  Yet.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kindle Convert said:
On your "Manage My Kindle Page" do you have the Wispersync set to "on"? That's the only thing I can think of...grasping here...
Excellent grasp, KC. The synch was on. Which means it has reset itself. Since we were both reading "Fool", I specifically turned it off, since I started it weeks before she did. That's not good.
I mean, it's excellent that you diagnosed the problem in one sentence before 9 am. I mean the whole reset thing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Is "Why We Suck" on her Kindle? If everything but that is there...I have an idea of what happened. To get them off of her Kindle-on-Loan, she'll just have to "backspace" them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ScottBooks said:
Is "Why We Suck" on her Kindle? If everything but that is there...I have an idea of what happened. To get them off of her Kindle-on-Loan, she'll just have to "backspace" them.
Everything turned up there. lol, I'm surprised "Why we Suck" didn't show up there twice.

Kindle Convert said:
Glad I could help!! :)
Perhaps you should consider changing your name to Kindle Shaman? Just a thought. To check it out, I opened another book I knew we had both been reading....and it asked if I wanted to synch to the location of the other book. Now I have to tell her, whatever she does, don't synch. I have a feeling this is not going to be pretty. But thanks for your help! It would have taken me a week to think of that one.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Can't Whispersync be turned off at Amazon in the manage your kindele area? Wouldn't that stop the problem?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope so.  I just turned it off.  I don't know when it got turned on.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Maybe automatically when you registered the second Kindle to your account?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, but good guess.  I consciously turned it off (b/c it asked me did I want to turn it on), but I knew we would be reading the same book, and didn't want to have to explain the concept of thinking.  It's just easier.  We've told her that the reason iTunes works is that there's a little dude that comes with the ipod that moves into the computer and puts the songs on her ipod.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
We've told her that the reason iTunes works is that there's a little dude that comes with the ipod that moves into the computer and puts the songs on her ipod.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Nope, but good guess. I consciously turned it off (b/c it asked me did I want to turn it on), but I knew we would be reading the same book, and didn't want to have to explain the concept of thinking. It's just easier. We've told her that the reason iTunes works is that there's a little dude that comes with the ipod that moves into the computer and puts the songs on her ipod.
There isn't ??? ::)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gables Girl said:
There isn't ??? ::)
Well, yeah, but a lot of people get freaked out by the idea of a little dude living in their computer. That's why apple never mentions it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Well, yeah, but a lot of people get freaked out by the idea of a little dude living in their computer. That's why apple never mentions it.
I figure he lives on the crumbs in my keyboard. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Everything turned up there. lol, I'm surprised "Why we Suck" didn't show up there twice.
Perhaps you should consider changing your name to Kindle Shaman? Just a thought. To check it out, I opened another book I knew we had both been reading....and it asked if I wanted to synch to the location of the other book. Now I have to tell her, whatever she does, don't synch. I have a feeling this is not going to be pretty. But thanks for your help! It would have taken me a week to think of that one.
You're Funny!!! I turned my Whyspersync off...immediately! I share my account w/ my 13 y/o DD and I know she doesn't need to be reading everything I read! ;) I don't want her growing up too fast!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kindle Convert said:
You're Funny!!! I turned my Whyspersync off...immediately! I share my account w/ my 13 y/o DD and I know she doesn't need to be reading everything I read! ;) I don't want her growing up too fast!!
lol, I feel the same way about my mom. Although if you let your daughter read Laurell Hamilton, she might elect to just stay 13. I mean, if I had read those at 13, that's where I'd still be. ;D
I guess I'll have to check in every once in a while and make sure that my synch is still off. Although Mom said when I talked to her earlier that she was no longer seeing all of my books in the TOC anymore, so maybe it's just lead in the water up there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts