Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its coming...What are your experences with this epic day?

Since I was 12-13 ish, I  usually am the one that babysits the kids or watches the carts on Black Friday.

I also remembering being in elementary school and having the responsibility of watching the cart as everyone divided up and got their stuff. That year my idea of watching the cart was using all the coats as cushions and blankets in order to sleep. My mom came back to the cart expecting my dad and I to be standing around the cart (dad had to check out some kind of electronic device and left me to watch the cart), but all she saw was a cart with the the coats. My dad showed up a couple of second later...."Where's Mel?". Mom went crazy. My big brother ended finding me huddled between the coats, but by then store Mom was demanding that the store go into locked down to look for me.

There was also the year that some lady was so determined to get some piece of merchandise that was out, she actually grabbed it from the cart my aunt's cart when my cousin and I were watching the carts. After that year, I refused to go to shopping with the family on that particular day and just babysit the kids.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't go to the stores.  We are always at my Mom's so we just spend time with her.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Comfortable clothes, a tall glass of iced tea and an Internet connection. 

The last time I actually did Black Friday, I hit all the malls at exactly the right time, no traffic, reasonably empty stores and parking spaces up front.  It was a high note on which to retire from the fray.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I refuse to go near a store on Black Friday. My in-laws thrive for that 4:00in the morning shopping to get a good deal. Myself I sit at home with my computer and let mr. UPS man bring it to the door. I have been doing that for a couple years now and I love some of the stuff I have been able to get that I wouldn't normally have been able to.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I stay home.  Hate crowds.  No bargain is worth it.

Years ago when I was working in downtown Chicago, went to Marshall Field's on State St. during my lunch hour on a Black Friday.  As I was coming down an escalator, heard the woman in front of me ask the Andy Frain usher at the bottom if he had seen a little girl.  His reply, "Lady, I've seen a lot of little girls." 

I don't have much Christmas shopping to do.  Starting with the day after Thanksgiving and through about mid January, I try to avoid the shopping centers.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I used to go, always went alone, easier to move around. I don't bother anymore, I'd rather sleep in.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I hate crowds. I have the day off. I will sleep late than get some things done around here and do some reading ;D I never go shoping on Black Friday.

I

·
0 Posts
There is nothing in a real store i cant find on line and usually at a better price.  Every 'real' store has a web site so why get physical?  I do need dog food soon and on wal mart has my brand.  I'll have to venture out late one night before Friday. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
We always spend the day at home with the kids (and now grandkids)... Everyone stays in PJs and we munch on leftovers, bake cookies and play board games. Starting with last year, the Wii has been added to our Black Friday celebration! All game playing comes to a halt during the Texas A&M/tu annual football game (that is when Larry goes into his office to sit at the computer and sleep)!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yes, I do most of my shopping online. My daughter's school had a big craft fair this weekend so I went to that. There was lots of nice stuff so I did pick up a few presents. That's about it for me and retail shopping!

L

PS, yes Betsy I am noticing a trend among Kindle owners...which makes me think things will be busy here at the Kindleboards on Friday since no one is going out!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I DON'T do crowds, and my stupid company thinks that the day after Thanksgiving is a good day to end the fiscal year - so I HAVE to work on that day, its required in the accounting department.  That being said, I've found that shopping the next day is nice - there is hardly anyone at the mall, most of the sales are still on, and I never seem to want whatever the big item is that year that everyone else was queueing up for at 5 a.m. on Friday.  Years ago Mom and I used to go early and camp out at the Disney Store for that year's "special" Christmas Disney beanie thing, but it stopped being important.  I think its because I got a life.  :D

Katiekat

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I went once as the cart watcher.  MY GF had adopted 2 kids and was getting their first Christmas gifts.  I stayed at the end of rows with the cart for her.  It worked out very well.  I say that I do not do crowds, but am quickly reminded by family and friends that I loved working at Churchill Downs on Derby Day.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Leslie said:
PS, yes Betsy I am noticing a trend among Kindle owners...which makes me think things will be busy here at the Kindleboards on Friday since no one is going out!
Yes, it is beginning to look as if kindleholics are by nature not the types who would willingly choose to risk their lives in a frenzied mob of shoppers! Not sure how many of us will be on line this Friday however.....we may be busy stuffing ourselves with leftovers or snuggling up with our kindles in front of the fireplace. Or (sigh) stuck in an airport somewhere on our way home.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I like shopping.  On line or in person.  I will sometimes go out on the Friday after T'giving but only when I don't have to get anything.  It is rather fun to watch people frazzle.  My son will be home this year and I think he has in mind to look for some things at Best Buy or MicroCenter.  I'll probably go with him.  Most of my purchases are on line or at Craft Fairs.  Though I usually make a Sears run just after new years to pick up some 'suitable for work' clothes and half price.  Pretty much have to try on clothes and shoes -- not had good luck ordering except from a retailer I know already from having tried stuff on.

Ann

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'll be managing a retail store on Black Friday. Just like I have been for the last 8 years. Black Friday at Office Depot doesn't begin to compare to Harry Potter night at B&N.

B

·
0 Posts
Sadly, this year I am working Tues, Wed, and Thursday nights. Friday morning all I will want to do is fall into bed and read for a few minutes then sleep the day away.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I choose not to do Black Friday anymore. I start in June and my Christmas shopping is done except for a few things. Pay as I go, I used to use credit cards but decided if I started early I could pay cash. I liked nothing better than Black Friday in my 20's and 30's but I'd rather be Kindling now.  ;)

Linda

1 - 20 of 28 Posts