Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon has just released a general shopping app for Blackberry devices that use a trackball (as opposed to the side scroll wheel), available at http://www.amazon.com/blackberry_app and here's a press release -- http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1274984&highlight= -- perhaps a Kindle reading app like the iPhone has is not far behind?

The shopping app for iPhone was released in December, a few months before its Kindle app was released, so perhaps they're doing a rollout the same way for Blackberry devices....that's pure speculation on my part, but just a thought.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know this is an old thread but has anyone heard anything more about whether there will ever be a Kindle BlackBerry app?  Or does the release of the nook, which has a BlackBerry app, mean we'll never see a Kindle/BB app?

I've had my K1 for almost two years now and love it.  But I travel to and from work on public transportation, and often I'm carrying so much equipment with me, I can't take my Kindle -- it's all packed so tightly that I'm afraid if I add my Kindle, the Kindle will break.  So what I've been doing is reading on my BlackBerry with the Mobipocket app.  I've only been reading free classics on it, as the Mobipocket books are more expensive than Kindle books.  I'd really like to be able to read and sync my Kindle books with my BlackBerry.

I suppose I could get a nook and then I could sync nook books to the BB, and the thought has crossed my mind, but I'd really rather keep my e-books on one platform.  Another option would be to buy an iPod Touch to read my Kindle books on when I'm on the go, which I'm seriously considering, if it doesn't look like there will ever be a Kindle/BB app.

So, anyone have any advice for me?  Should I wait to see if they come out with a Kindle/BB app?  Or should I buy an iPod Touch?  Unfortunately I wouldn't have much use for the Touch other than to read with.

ETA:  A third option would be for me to switch from BlackBerry to iPhone.  My BB contract is up in 17 months.  It would cost me a cancellation fee to quit the BB contract, plus the cost of the iPhone.  I'm not an expert in iPhone plans but from what I can tell, the monthly cost of the iPhone plan would be about the same as what I pay now for the BB.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
On the contrary:  Amazon is planning on releasing a Kindle App for PC in November and word is (from usually reliable sources) that they're working on a Kindle app for Mac and Blackberry as well.  So just hang on. . . .betcha it comes early next year.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The advertisement on Amazon.com says the general shopping app will work on Blackberry devices that use a trackball or touch screen.  The article only mentions the trackball devices.  So I decided "what the heck, download the app and see if it will work on the Storm."  The download says it will work---and so far it does. 

I too would love to have the flexibility to read Kindle books on my Blackberry.  I already have the capability of reading B&N books on it since the release of that app last summer.  I tried this out when I was trying to decide if I wanted to purchase the Kindle or some other ereader.  I much prefer reading on the Kindle and purchasing books from Amazon though.

Like Lee I've debated the purchase of the iPod Touch, but I don't want to carry so many devices with me at all times.  Right now, I don't want to transfer my cell service to AT&T in order to get the iPhone either. 

Gayle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts