Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone recently posted about being needy, about needing validation from others for her writing. While I understand this completely, I'm just not put together that way. Book sales do not define me; neither does my writing, though a great dollop of my imagination and perspiration go into it.

Today on FB I had one writer say I'd insulted him so he got together 5 or 6 of his writer friends to agree to black list me and that my smartass ways had cost me several sales. Boo hoo, I replied. I don't recall insulting anyone, though I do post responses which are zany at times. But, I'm not on FB to make book sales. I do it to let off steam, to have fun, to interact with other folks, most of whom are not writers.

What I cannot fathom is how one guy or 15 figure they will damage any writer by putting him on some stupid "don't buy" list. I've come to the conclusion that some folks online simply read what they want to read, see what they want to see, and villify whom they want to villify--for reasons beyond knowing in many cases. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
I think you figured it out in the first paragraph, but guess who the 'needy' ones are?  As for being blacklisted, you'll get used to it  ;D .  Everyone likes me until they get to know me, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
I still haven't figured out how a person is validated. Maybe I'm not valid?
I think a person is only validated with a cashier's stamp on a proof of purchase, no? Or is that parking?

***

Being blacklisted by a bunch of pals is kind of funny. I thought that only worked with organizations?

I wouldn't worry - a small bunch of people and it won't do any damage. However, if you get blacklisted by the right big group of people, that is a motherload of free PR. Either way, s'okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,435 Posts
no matter what, some people will love it, some people will hate it, and some people will never get the joke.
or the chocolate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
MikeAngel said:
Someone recently posted about being needy, about needing validation from others for her writing. While I understand this completely, I'm just not put together that way. Book sales do not define me; neither does my writing, though a great dollop of my imagination and perspiration go into it.

Today on FB I had one writer say I'd insulted him so he got together 5 or 6 of his writer friends to agree to black list me and that my smartass ways had cost me several sales. Boo hoo, I replied. I don't recall insulting anyone, though I do post responses which are zany at times. But, I'm not on FB to make book sales. I do it to let off steam, to have fun, to interact with other folks, most of whom are not writers.

What I cannot fathom is how one guy or 15 figure they will damage any writer by putting him on some stupid "don't buy" list. I've come to the conclusion that some folks online simply read what they want to read, see what they want to see, and villify whom they want to villify--for reasons beyond knowing in many cases.
That's nothing. I've put you on double secret probation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Use the blacklisting as marketing!

"David H. Fears - Drums Up So Much Passion, He's Been Blacklisted.  See What the Fuss is All About!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,307 Posts
For every person who's told you to your face that they're "blacklisting" you, hundreds are quietly doing the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Blacklisted?  Really, Blacklisted?  God, I should be so lucky!  Where's McCarthy when you need him? Left Wing.  Right Wing.  Middle Wing.  Someone blacklist me, and please go on National TV and tell everyone why.

Because my sales suck.

You know, there were people who put an enormous amount of effort into putting up websites and getting the word out on why they HATED Robert Jordan.  And he sold MILLIONS of books.

Congrats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
Monique said:
For every person who's told you to your face that they're "blacklisting" you, hundreds are quietly doing the same.
While I do believe that for every customer complaint there are lots more silent customers who are equally dissatisfied, I don't believe this is so for the "blacklisters." They are a special breed, and they seek out things to blacklist as a kind of ritual in establishing their status in their own social group.

You see them in political arenas all the time, but even more so in "fan" areas, and they are everywhere on the web. A small group trying to make themselves seem important by claiming to be larger and specifically claiming to be able to do harm. Sometimes it's just one person with several identities -- sometimes a small organized group. They get together to spam people they feel deserve it, or to rate things down or up.

They're basically vandals who can't actually throw a rock through your window, so they have to make it sound like they can burn down your house just to make themselves feel in control. I think it's a mental illness, myself.

Don't worry about it unless you suspect actual stalking.

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,307 Posts
In this case, Camille, I think the blacklisters are simply people who won't buy his books. Of that sort, there are many.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
MikeAngel said:
Today on FB I had one writer say I'd insulted him so he got together 5 or 6 of his writer friends to agree to black list me and that my smartass ways had cost me several sales. Boo hoo, I replied. I don't recall insulting anyone, though I do post responses which are zany at times. But, I'm not on FB to make book sales. I do it to let off steam, to have fun, to interact with other folks, most of whom are not writers.
You, irritating people? I find that hard to believe! Almost as hard as believing that people find me annoying... ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
Monique said:
In this case, Camille, I think the blacklisters are simply people who won't buy his books. Of that sort, there are many.
There may be people who won't buy his books -- there are people who won't buy mine or yours too. When people SAY they are blacklisting you or organizing, that's not in any way an indication of normal customer reactions. People who do that are creeps who like to make themselves feel important.

You may be making a subtle comment that Mike pisses people off. I've noticed, and I've been annoyed myself, but that's irrelevant to the fact that making threats has anything to do with how normal people react.

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,233 Posts
If anyone has ever put me on their Don't Buy list for something I've said, they've never told me about it. It's probably inevitable that I've annoyed somebody at some point though, as much time as I spend online blabbing.  :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
MikeAngel said:
Someone recently posted about being needy, about needing validation from others for her writing. While I understand this completely, I'm just not put together that way. Book sales do not define me; neither does my writing, though a great dollop of my imagination and perspiration go into it.

Today on FB I had one writer say I'd insulted him so he got together 5 or 6 of his writer friends to agree to black list me and that my smartass ways had cost me several sales. Boo hoo, I replied. I don't recall insulting anyone, though I do post responses which are zany at times. But, I'm not on FB to make book sales. I do it to let off steam, to have fun, to interact with other folks, most of whom are not writers.

What I cannot fathom is how one guy or 15 figure they will damage any writer by putting him on some stupid "don't buy" list. I've come to the conclusion that some folks online simply read what they want to read, see what they want to see, and villify whom they want to villify--for reasons beyond knowing in many cases.
This is the author who addresses me as Jeanne-poo. You should be blacklisted--and kicked in the shins.

Just kidding. ;)

People get stupid, but if they tell a lot of people it's good advertising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
I was told last night that you know you've finally arrived when you're important enough to have haters!  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Monique said:
For every person who's told you to your face that they're "blacklisting" you, hundreds are quietly doing the same.
Yes, indeed so.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top