Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the area where the 2 storms will collide (AGAIN). It's looking like we are going to get a bunch of the white stuff!

To my fellow KBers North of me, please be careful. I'm hearing 2 feet+ for you guys.

Stay safe and check in when you can!!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Depending on which weather report I look at, here in NJ just a few miles west of Manhattan, we're expecting either about 2 inches of snow/slush/rain/sleet/whatever, or 6"-12" of snow. ::)

weather.com as of 4:48 thursday:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sincerely hope your forecast is correct NogDog! In yours above it puts me at 3-6".

If you hop over to noaa.gov it gives an entirely different forecast, and one which makes me want to cry! I believe it says 10-14 inches.

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
Rats. :(  Looks like it's going to be well north of us. ::)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've heard they've named this storm Nemo. I'm in Wisconsin, and we're currently getting snow, 2-5 inches. I suppose I shouldn't complain, but winter is not my jam.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nemo?! Who names these things?  This storm is going to be anything BUT cute. (I love Nemo!)

**Now noaa is saying 10-16!** Crud!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
teashopgirl said:
I've heard they've named this storm Nemo. I'm in Wisconsin, and we're currently getting snow, 2-5 inches. I suppose I shouldn't complain, but winter is not my jam.
The Weather Channel has taken to naming winter storms, but the National Weather Service does not. In fact, I remember seeing a report in the latter part of 2012 that they issued a memo to all their employees to not use those Weather Channel names in any reports, alerts, etc. (They do, however, name tropical storms/hurricanes.) IIRC, part of their rationale was that winter storms are comparatively short-lived and highly changeable, which for whatever reason makes giving them names rather unproductive.

Or something like that. :)

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
...so what is a nice desert cat doing in a place like this ??

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Meanwhile, here in Maine, this is what we are looking forward to:

Approaching storm could be biggest since '79

The National Weather Service is predicting more than 2 feet of snow in some areas, setting off a scramble to collect groceries and supplies.

By Gillian [email protected]

And snowmobilers and skiers grew more excited as the weekend weather forecasts of big snowfall totals grew more certain.

The storm expected to hit Friday and Saturday could dump 2 feet or more of snow in parts of southern Maine, which would be more than any storm in more than three decades, according to the National Weather Service.

The weather service Thursday issued a blizzard warning from coastal York County through Waldo County, and winter storm warnings and advisories are in place for much of the state.

Snow could start falling in southern Maine shortly after midnight, forecasts predict. It is expected to continue into Saturday afternoon, said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray.

"We have pretty fair confidence most places are going to get at least a foot to a foot-and-a-half of snow," Brown said.

Some areas along the coast of Maine and New Hampshire could get more than 2 feet of snow, depending on how the storm tracks, Brown said. He said the last time southern Maine recorded 2 feet or more of snow in one storm was in 1979.

The storm also will bring windy conditions and the chance of coastal flooding.

Brown said the last time southern Maine recorded 2 feet or more of snow in one storm was in 1979. An October 2011 storm that dumped 22 inches of snow on Concord, N.H., amounted to just shy of 6 inches of snow in Portland.

James Budway, director of Cumberland County Emergency Management Agency, said he and other officials are keeping a close eye on the storm track.

A shift of 20 to 30 miles in the track of the storm could drastically change the amount of snow the area receives, he said.

"The next 24 hours will be crucial in looking at the storm to see what we'll be doing," he said.

The Maine Turnpike Authority officials began warning drivers Thursday to pay attention to the conditions and adjust their driving accordingly.

The turnpike's Facebook and Twitter pages will be updated regularly with information about road conditions, accidents and delays, said spokesman Dan Morin.

"If you don't need to be out Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon, we urge you to stay home," Morin said. "This could get quite messy."

to read more: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Storm-could-be-biggest-since-1979.html

We're stocking up...we have lots of popcorn! LOL

L

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Snapped this on the way home this evening. This type of high-altitude "herringbone" clouds is usually a good indicator that nasty weather is on the way.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
New England
If you don't see me around; I'm buried under a 5 foot snowdrift. I despise our Winters; live for our Summers!!
***PRAY that I don't lose power. If so, I will have NO heat, hot water, stove, fridge or fireplace.
Uggghhhhh.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Stay safe everyone! I'd trade you some snow. Here in northern IN the last couple of winters have been weird. We get a few inches of snow, then a day or two later it melts....a couple more inches, melting again....repeat.  Yuck. Until it's truly spring I prefer not to look at the brown grass and mud. Bring on the snow. We haven't had a big storm in quite a while. The kids used to miss 1-2 weeks of school due to snow each year but not anymore. They rarely miss more than a day, if that.

Stay warm inside with your kindles!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
It's snowing here in southern Maine and the snow started earlier than expected. They are predicting 25+ inches before it is all over. Good thing I don't have to go anywhere...

L

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just misting here in Northwestern NJ at the moment.
Models are all over the place still. Some showing me in the 3-6 inch range (please and thank you) while others have warned of 10-16 inches of the lovely white stuff.

The majority of the storm is supposed to be this afternoon and through the overnight hours with a possible 1-2 inches per hour falling then.

I want to move somewhere warmer.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
A bit of wet snow at the moment, wind starting to pick up. Weather.com now shows us near the top end of the 6-12 inch range.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts