Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I have been a KDP publisher for over 5 years, and the last six days were really hard for me. Somehow, Amazon's KDP system identified the content of my children’s book to be misleading, so my account was terminated and my entire career was taken down. I double checked the book, and didn’t find any content that would mislead or defraud customers. I can’t get a human interaction with KDP support. The emails from KDP support are generic, and no matter what I say, they send the same message. Maybe you have some advice on how to deal with KDP support. I'm really devastated and afraid that they won't restore my account.

· Registered
6,373 Posts
When you say children's book. Is it a picture book, or say a coloring book, or a narrative story?

Ah, okay, I think I've found them on Amazon with the audio books still up and links to the books disabled. (If those are the ones.)

Hopefully, someone will have a telephone number for you. I'm not sure, but I have heard some say you can ask for the problem to be dealt with higher up by a supervisor in an email at the suspension stage rather than the final closure stage. Is your contact page still there? If so, you can ask for a response by telephone in the contact us section.

Sounds as though a customer has possibly complained.

You say terminated, but is this so? or is it at the suspension stage?

The links below have some tips.

Kindleboards thread on author successfully having terminated account restored

kdp account suspension/termination

how do I deal with Amazon kdp if i THINK MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN WRONGFULLY TERMINATED - Google Search

Reactions: nail file

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry that it happened to you. Could you give us more details? What was the nature of your book (title?) and did you set the age range?
Here's the initial message

Hello,

We are terminating your account effective immediately because we found that you have published books with misleading content that have the potential to mislead or defraud our customers.

As part of the termination process:
• We will close your account
• You're no longer eligible to receive any outstanding royalties
• You'll no longer have access to your accounts. This includes, editing your titles, viewing your reports and accessing any other information within your account
• All of your published titles will be removed from sale on Amazon

Additionally, as per our Terms and Conditions, you aren't allowed to open any new KDP accounts.

You can find our Terms and Conditions, here: https://kdp.amazon.com/terms-and-conditions

If you have questions, please reply to this message.

Regards,
Amazon KDP

I publish picture books for preschoolers. They are really short and simple. I have no idea whats so misleading about them.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say children's book. Is it a picture book, or say a coloring book, or a narrative story?

Ah, okay, I think I've found them on Amazon with the audio books still up and links to the books disabled. (If those are the ones.)

Hopefully, someone will have a telephone number for you. I'm not sure, but I have heard some say you can ask for the problem to be dealt with higher up by a supervisor in an email at the suspension stage rather than the final closure stage. Is your contact page still there? If so, you can ask for a response by telephone in the contact us section.

Sounds as though a customer has possibly complained.

You say terminated, but is this so? or is it at the suspension stage?

The links below have some tips.

Kindleboards thread on author successfully having terminated account restored

kdp account suspension/termination

how do I deal with Amazon kdp if i THINK MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN WRONGFULLY TERMINATED - Google Search

Unfortunately, I call only email KDP support. My account was terminated, and there is no telephone number in the contact us section.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
There's a Michael Gordon and a Michael D. Gordon in children's books. Are you both? There are a ton of things Amazon could decide are misleading. It may have nothing to do with your content.

Have you tried escalating your email or are you just replying to it? Replying will just just go back to the bot that sent it. Escalating will get you a person.

This is assuming you can escalate a termination email. Is there a sentence at the bottom that gives you a YES/NO response option? Typically something like Did This Answer Your Question. If so, choose the NO option link.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a Michael Gordon and a Michael D. Gordon in children's books. Are you both? There are a ton of things Amazon could decide are misleading. It may have nothing to do with your content.

Have you tried escalating your email or are you just replying to it? Replying will just just go back to the bot that sent it. Escalating will get you a person.

This is assuming you can escalate a termination email. Is there a sentence at the bottom that gives you a YES/NO response option? Typically something like Did This Answer Your Question. If so, choose the NO option link.
I don't have the YES/NO option

· Registered
8,036 Posts
If your account is terminated, the only recourse is to reply to the email you received. There is no phone number for KDP support. Without an account, you can't use the Contact Us link at KDP. You must reply to the email sent to you. Explain that you don't believe you have violated any terms of KDP, and ask to escalated to a supervisor. Don't go into great details, don't use long sentences. You are talking mostly to those with English as a second or third language, who are taught to answer questions by rote. They are not "bots", they are people. Be polite. Be patient.

And if you may have done something that would make it seem you're trying to get a book past the review team, fix it, if Amazon lets you. They may not. Lately terminations have been final. Amazon seems to have become tired of messing around.

· Registered
9 Posts
Are you the Michael Gordon who published the Emotions and Feelings series, as well as Self-Regulation Skills? If you are, I wonder if word stuffing in the titles had something to do with it. That said, these books are still selling on Amazon, so maybe they reinstated your account?

· Registered
8,036 Posts
Title stuffing is one reason Amazon is cracking down on things. They don't catch them all, but they get a good portion of them. Many who are title stuffing are using words that make buyers think they're getting a known work. Using trademarked words/phrases is not allowed. It's not allowed in keywords, either, but people are trying to get by with it in titles.

Honestly, unless we know what's been published by the OP, we really have no way to give a definite answer. But the OP already knows what they've done. Either fix the issue, if allowed, or accept that the account is gone, and it won't be back. And there is no way to get another one.

· Registered
6,373 Posts
Are you the Michael Gordon who published the Emotions and Feelings series, as well as Self-Regulation Skills? If you are, I wonder if word stuffing in the titles had something to do with it. That said, these books are still selling on Amazon, so maybe they reinstated your account?
I am viewing Amazon .com just now and see Michael Gordon children's books for kindle and print that were not there last time I looked. Last time, the books were only shown as audio via .com.br. Now I don't see audio only kindle and print.

There is one book that on November 10th 2022 had a one star and the reviewer posted an image of a print book page. The review says the words on the page don't correspond with the pictures. That could be a print error or a formatting error. I am not saying that is the reason, but customer complaints usually follow with a reaction from Amazon. If this is the case, then maybe it had also drawn attention to title stuffing, or metadata keyword stuffing of the blurbs by the review team that prompted termination?

The rest of the books have a good number of positive reviews, some approaching or over 1000..

However, we don't know if this is the same Michael Gordon. and if "My Body Signals" is one of his books?

My question is, is this your book and have you been reinstated?

· Registered
309 Posts
The books Decon refers to appear to be available.

I agree titles are too lengthy.

Also, the advertising material claims "children WILL learn". Everyone responded differently - even if this is syllabus talk - you appear to be making a therapeutic claim. This is banned by the Therapeutic Goods Association in Australia & I expect there is a relevant governing body in the US too. I suggest editing the banner to say "children MAY learn" or "MAY HELP children learn." (Then you can't be sued if children don't respond as predicted to a certain title.)

Also, what are the author's credentials? Is he a parent, therapist, or holder of a relevant degree ranging from BA (with units in psychology) to B.Ed? Doctor, nurse, childcare worker, sports coach, or concerned bystander? BE HONEST ABOUT THIS.

· Registered
8,036 Posts
The OP appears to have moved on. All you can do is reply to the termination email you received and state your case. Be polite, don't go on and on. Simply state why you believe the termination was in error and ask it be looked at again. Give any supporting info you have.

I will tell you that "misleading" content often means improper use of copyrighted and/or trademarked material, and if you don't have express, written permission to use it, you won't be reinstated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts