Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - My inbox is contacted regularly by people asking me if I would like to do a blog tour, some of them even 'pay what you think it is worth'.
I've tried searching - but can't find anything on whether blog tours are still worth it.
Please could you let me know your experiences - I write in historical romantic fiction/suspense.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I haven't tried a blog tour so I would like to hear more about them, and see some links if possible.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
You can get some nice editorial reviews but that's about it IME. You won't see that money back in increased sales.

·
Registered
677 Posts
No. They are not worth it.
I did one in 2017, and I don't anticipate they have gotten better. Most of the 'blogs' the book ended up on were just free sites people put up just to do these promos. No original content, no following. Just billboards on an untraveled road. Most also require a giveaway, which is an additional expense, and none of the followers I gained from that ever did anything. Low quality.

Let me add that blog tours used to be good for romance, in particular. But I think by 2017, the shine had worn off. I imagine it will be even worse now. Most readers hang out on social media now. Not as many are hitting up bloggers, unless that blogger has a huge following.

·
Registered
626 Posts
No.

If you need convincing, try Googling the subject, go to some of the sites, and then check the dates of the last books listed. Many will be from years past - nothing current. Or, you can check each website's ranking. Anything above 5 million is getting almost no traffic. If the site doesn't even get a listing at Alexa or Similarweb, you know they have nothing to offer.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've not heard of any of the services that bombard my inbox being any good. I asked around, I checked the books they promoted recently, and found no success stories.

The only way I can see a blog tour being any good is if you build it yourself - spend time connecting with influencers, people who you can see already have an audience. I suppose it's probably more effective for non-fiction, but with time and patience it would likely work for fiction too. But it wouldn't be quick, like paying a fee and writing a few 250 word articles.

·
Registered
786 Posts
No. They used to be the rage. Just last year I had two blog tours cancel because of a lack of participation. A total friggin waste for me. I couldn't even get one off the ground, let alone tell you how well or un-well I did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your responses. You have validated my suspicions. Time to pull up my pants and pour some more money into AMS and Facebook.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, obviously majority rules, but I did just want to add that the reason I still schedule them each year is just for SEO reasons. It usually snags me some extra pre-orders before release day, but the real purpose is to create pages where my new book exists on the various sites. I do a month long one so that it's got some spread so that if you search for the book, there's actual results. It's inexpensive too, as the one I use just asks for a voluntary tip. It also helps that this particular one will do a whole series tour, so not just the new book. Every once in a while, one or two of the tour participants reads the book and gives a much needed early review. Just my two cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts